DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Is my Vigor 2800VG broken?

• tjmurphy
  • Topic Author
More
01 Feb 2010 12:22 #1 by tjmurphy
Is my Vigor 2800VG broken? was created by tjmurphy
I think the answer is "yes" but wondering if I've missed anything.

After 3 years (almost to the day) my 2800VG seems to have stopped working. On the status screen it's stuck cycling between HANDSHAKE and something else IDLE or SYNCH (I think) which might indicate a line problem. Except that I plug in my old Vigor 2600 and that connects straightaway.

I've reset the router (using the web interface) but no joy there.

Is there anything else worth checking or is this a goner?

Thanks
Tony

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Feb 2010 12:59 #2 by lorian
Replied by lorian on topic Is my Vigor 2800VG broken?
Change the modulation to "Multimode" and then reboot the router.

More
01 Feb 2010 13:21 #3 by mbames
Replied by mbames on topic Is my Vigor 2800VG broken?
What does changing the mode achieve? I don't want to sound rude - just asking to improve my knowledge....

I was recently switched to the C21N platform and have found my connection to be unstable - do you think this change might help me too?

More
01 Feb 2010 14:45 #4 by lorian

mbames wrote: What does changing the mode achieve? I don't want to sound rude - just asking to improve my knowledge....

I was recently switched to the C21N platform and have found my connection to be unstable - do you think this change might help me too?

Changing mode to multimode would alleviate a problem of having the wrong modulation type selected on the router, as the router and DSLAM (MSAN in your case) negotiate on what they are going to use.

What is your connection comming up as, ADSL2+, ADSL2+ or plain old GMT? What's the line length, attenuation, upstream and downstream data rates and SNR margins in both directions?

• tjmurphy
  • Topic Author
More
01 Feb 2010 15:48 #5 by tjmurphy
Replied by tjmurphy on topic Is my Vigor 2800VG broken?

Lorian wrote:

mbames wrote: What does changing the mode achieve? I don't want to sound rude - just asking to improve my knowledge....

Changing mode to multimode would alleviate a problem of having the wrong modulation type selected on the router, as the router and DSLAM (MSAN in your case) negotiate on what they are going to use.

What is your connection comming up as, ADSL2+, ADSL2+ or plain old GMT? What's the line length, attenuation, upstream and downstream data rates and SNR margins in both directions?

Thanks for your replies. I'm confused though, why would changing these settings explain the modem's behaviour if my other older modem is connecting straight away and the 2800 has always worked up till now?

More
01 Feb 2010 15:59 #6 by lorian
It won't, but if you do it an it sync's we'll be able to see what modulation it chose and that might give a clue.

Moderators: Sami