DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820 DHCP not giving out correct DNS addresses

• tobiz
  • Topic Author
More
02 Feb 2010 14:27 #1 by tobiz
I've found my Vigor 2820 (s/w version 3.3.1.1_232201) DHCP is giving out the DNS address as itself, 192.168.1.1 and not those supplied by my ISP which are shown on the online status page. Is this correct? This applies to all my DHCP clients, 1xWindows XP, 1xMandriva 2006, 2xUbuntu. I understood DHCP should pass on the ISP provided DNS addresses. Is the 2820 configured incorrectly? If not what should the config be?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Feb 2010 16:11 #2 by voodle
The router will act as a DNS forwarder and use the DNS addresses shown at the top of the Online Status page.
If you want it to pass the DNS addresses directly on to connected PCs, go to the LAN menu then General Setup, tick the Force DNS Manual Setting option and enter the DNS addresses you want to use on there.
When you renew IP addresses, they will get the DNS addresses you set on that page.

• tobiz
  • Topic Author
More
02 Feb 2010 17:18 #3 by tobiz

Voodle wrote: The router will act as a DNS forwarder and use the DNS addresses shown at the top of the Online Status page.
If you want it to pass the DNS addresses directly on to connected PCs, go to the LAN menu then General Setup, tick the Force DNS Manual Setting option and enter the DNS addresses you want to use on there.
When you renew IP addresses, they will get the DNS addresses you set on that page.

Voodle, thanks for the suggestion, that's one way round the problem. I had thought of that but what if my ISP changes its DNS addresses (and the 2820 gets rebooted for some reason) then I have to re-enter the new ones by hand; shouldn't a DHCP server just pass out the DNS addresses to the clients?

More
02 Feb 2010 18:08 #4 by rothers
No it's acts as a DNS proxy by default.

• tobiz
  • Topic Author
More
03 Feb 2010 12:17 #5 by tobiz

rothers wrote: No it's acts as a DNS proxy by default.

rothers, thanks for the info, v.useful. Is it possible to configure the 2820 to not default to a DNS proxy? I have found this problem only occurs with one machine which runs the oldest s/w so is a problem with it rather than the 2820. However, am now interested to know more about the 2820 configuration options in this area.

Moderators: Sami