DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 120 - running significantly slower than my old netgear

• jimbobuk
  • Topic Author
More
02 Feb 2010 23:53 #1 by jimbobuk
I just received my Vigor 120 modem today, hoping it would work nicely with my airport extreme, and perhaps offer more speed stability.

Perhaps on the latter, not that its easy to see how long things are connected as the modem is almost completely hidden behind the airport router.

My broadband is with BT.

Anyways the main problem is that its now syncing with

ADSL2(G.992.3)

which i presume is correct.

But its also only syncing at 4meg, when the netgear old router i was replacing managed 5.5-6meg, sufficient to sustain an IP Profile of 5000.

What options have i got to improve this? I've updated the firmware to

V120_3241_332201

No help.

I appreciate it may be running more stable, though i'd have to see over time if that was truly the case

My linestats are similar to what i had with the netgear

SNR 13
loop attenuation 43

according to http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php

I should be able to get what i was roughly able to get

DSLMax - 6304
adsl2+ - 7904

I was thinking that my old netgear was only capable of DSLMax, which is why i was hoping for a gain switching to adsl2 with this up to date modem, but to get only 4meg I have to say is very disappointing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jimbobuk
  • Topic Author
More
03 Feb 2010 00:05 #2 by jimbobuk
just telnetted in and got this out from adsl status, if it helps provide any hints/clues

Code:
--------------------------- ATU-R Info (hw: annex A, f/w: annex A) ----------- DSL Modulation : ADSL2(G.992.3) State : SHOWTIME DS Actual Rate : 4600000 bps US Actual Rate : 1083970 bps DS Attainable Rate : 4624000 bps US Attainable Rate : 1084000 bps DS Path Mode : Fast US Path Mode : Fast DS Interleave Depth : 0 US Interleave Depth : 0 NE Current Attenuation : 43 dB Cur SNR Margin : 12 dB DS actual PSD : 19. 0 dB US actual PSD : 12. 5 dB ADSL Firmware Version : 332201_A -------------------------------- ATU-C Info --------------------------------- Far Current Attenuation : 23 dB Far SNR Margin : 6 dB CO ITU Version[0] : 00004946 CO ITU Version[1] : 0000544e DSLAM CHIPSET VENDOR : < IFTN >

More
03 Feb 2010 14:30 #3 by voodle
It's BT so they always set it up to sync with quite a high SNR, try out the different modem codes, 321311 specifically from this page:
http://draytek.com/user/SupportDownloadsDetail.php?action=Load&MID=58&ID=314

• jimbobuk
  • Topic Author
More
03 Feb 2010 20:26 #4 by jimbobuk
Thanks for your help. Nice page you linked there, I was only staying on the .co.uk site.

I grabbed the firmware you recommended, installed it and its not really made much difference at all :(

Here's the latest telnet

Code:
--------------------------- ATU-R Info (hw: annex A, f/w: annex A) ----------- DSL Modulation : ADSL2(G.992.3) State : SHOWTIME DS Actual Rate : 4359970 bps US Actual Rate : 1055939 bps DS Attainable Rate : 4464000 bps US Attainable Rate : 1056000 bps DS Path Mode : Fast US Path Mode : Fast DS Interleave Depth : 0 US Interleave Depth : 0 NE Current Attenuation : 43 dB Cur SNR Margin : 12 dB DS actual PSD : 19. 0 dB US actual PSD : 12. 3 dB ADSL Firmware Version : 321311_A -------------------------------- ATU-C Info --------------------------------- Far Current Attenuation : 23 dB Far SNR Margin : 6 dB CO ITU Version[0] : 00004946 CO ITU Version[1] : 0000544e DSLAM CHIPSET VENDOR : < IFTN >

I want to love this thing, and i'm sure the stability may be nice, though again shockingly i can't seem to find any time for how long its stayed connected.

I can sacrifice a bit of speed but i really feel the 1.5meg difference at the ipprofile stage that i'm suffering thanks to this slow adsl sync speed! :(

Any other pointers?

I saw in this page

http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=13657&highlight=vigor+120+adsl+speed

mention of

adsl codinggain 8

but this option isn't available on the 120, so i guess its rumoured 20% improvement isn't either :(

Cheers

More
13 Feb 2010 23:02 #5 by apl
Just out of interest, how did you get these stats off the Vigor?

You mention using Telnet but how do I get to it on the other side of the airport?

I did notice that there is a sub menu in the Airport menu that allows me to disconnect and connect the Vigor from the Internet and two other options to display the time connected as well as the status when connecting.

Regards Alan

Moderators: Sami