DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Which Vigor

More
03 Feb 2010 13:21 #1 by ukengb
Which Vigor was created by ukengb
I am currently connecting a small home/work network to my ISP (PlusNet) with a BT Voyager modem/router. Doesn't matter which model as they're all c**p and lose the connection every few days, sometimes several times a day. Anyway, I bought a Vigor 120 to use with an Apple AirPort BaseStation, but for reasons too long winded to go into here, I will no longer go down that route. So I'm looking for an alternative connection method.

I have NO need for (and specifically do NOT want) any WiFi capability and likewise for built-in VOIP. Let me clarify that last point. I am in the process of setting up to use VOIP, but that will be done with some form of separate IP PBX, so the router will NOT need to offer any telephone ports. But I do really want to be able to control QoS in a way that doesn't just permanently reserve a chunk of the available bandwidth, allowing less for other data traffic.

I also want ADSL2/2+ functionality for some future proofing. UPnP and/or NAT PMP support would also be desirable.

I have narrowed it down to either the 2710, 2820 or even a used 2800, or perhaps in conjunction with the Vigor 120 I already have, a 2910 or 2930 and keep the ADSL and routing functions in separate boxes.

I like the idea of the 2710, but I believe there would be no QoS control. The 2910 with the 120 also looks tempting, but the firewall performance of the 2910 looks bad in Draytek's comparison table (or am I misinterpreting that). A good used 2800 would be a cheap choice, but could it do what I need?

I would really appreciate comments from those with experience of these models, or just with the sort of capabilities and performance I'm looking for.

So, please, what would be the best choice?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Feb 2010 14:20 #2 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic Which Vigor
With that sort of setup, I'd definitely go for the basic 2820 as you'd have the QoS to work with, the 2910/2930 are older and would be more work to set up.
The 2820 does handle NAT PMP if you want it for things like Back to My Mac.

Unfortunately the 2800 is becoming less compatible with ADSL as exchanges are being upgraded to newer hardware so they can be unstable on some lines.

More
03 Feb 2010 15:07 #3 by ukengb
Replied by ukengb on topic Which Vigor
Thanks for that. It's pretty much what I am settling on, but the 2820 is just so expensive compared to others. In fact Draytek stuff all seems expensive in comparison. Is it worth the extra?

Moderators: Sami