DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Alternate ADSL modem/router on WAN2

• catzi
  • Topic Author
More
03 Feb 2010 17:21 #1 by catzi
I'm on very long BT line and subsequently my 2820 only manages to sync at 2Mb at best and usually drops to 1-1.5Mb every now and again.

I'd like to put a better performing modem on WAN2 and have a BT HG2700 that performs much better on the line, syncing at 2.5Mb. I also have two servers, so want to retain the Draytek for it's multi-nat capabilities. Therfore I want to use the BT router on WAN2, bridged to the Draytek.

The BT firmware is rather cryptic - I've set up the BT router for public network and bridging (or routed/NAT as BT seem to refer to it) . I have 5 IP's from my ISP - the BT router automatically picks up the correct router address and I've assigned one of the other 5 to WAN2 on the Draytek. The remainder are set up as WAN IP Aliases on WAN2. I have also setup WAN2 on the Draytek with the ISP's gateway and DNS servers.

Unfortunately, the Draytek just doesn't want to pass anything through the BT router. Anyone got any experience with this type of setup? I know it's only a half meg but that's a lot when you're limited to 2mb (the difference between acceptable and unacceptable BBC iPlayer for example).

Any help appreciated. Cheers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• catzi
  • Topic Author
More
03 Feb 2010 19:11 #2 by catzi
Replied by catzi on topic Alternate ADSL modem/router on WAN2
Problem solved. Setup BT router for direct IP and turned off routing (as per various internet guides). Then set up WAN2 on the 2820 for PPPoE and all working wonderfully.

All the benefits of the Draytek's multi-nat combined with a decent ADSL modem.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Sami