DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2820 ability to re-connect

More
03 Feb 2010 17:53 #1 by ukengb
Vigor 2820 ability to re-connect was created by ukengb
I am thinking of finally replacing an old BT Voyager with a Vigor 2820 and I was wondering...

I have had a lot of trouble with various Voyagers over the years, they all seem to sporadically drop the connection. Sometimes it is maintained for several weeks, then it keeps dropping several times a day, but everything checks out about the line so I'm prepared to blame the Voyagers.

I did try a Netgear for a while and that never apparently dropped the connection, but I believe it had the ability to re-connect if the line dropped. Well that's good enough for me, but does the 2820 have this same ability to re-connect if for whatever reason the connection is lost. Will it simply try again and re-connect - or sit there like a lemon waiting for me to login and press the button to re-connect.

Please say yes it can do this:-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Feb 2010 09:33 #2 by rolandrat
Replied by rolandrat on topic Vigor 2820 ability to re-connect
Ive used squillions (ok many) of different routers over the years some good some bad, one thing I find is very good with the draytek 2820 is that it will always recover from a disconnect, obviously if its not a line fault. Even if the router has a bit of a hissy fit, it will reboot itself and start up again without any problem. Ive never had it just hang and wait for a manual power cycle.

More
04 Feb 2010 12:30 #3 by runningdeere
Replied by runningdeere on topic Vigor 2820 ability to re-connect
As long as you set it to 'permanently connected' (can't remember the exact wording) then yes, if the connection gets dropped the router will automatically try to re-establish the connection.

More
05 Feb 2010 08:19 #4 by ukengb
Replied by ukengb on topic Vigor 2820 ability to re-connect

runningdeere wrote: As long as you set it to 'permanently connected' (can't remember the exact wording) then yes, if the connection gets dropped the router will automatically try to re-establish the connection.

Thanks for the info. On that basis I've ordered a 2820 and will blame you personally if it fails to auto re-connect.

Only kidding. I have ordered a 2820, but won't blame anyone for any problems I may have (except maybe Draytek:-) But I'm confident it will serve my purposes admirably, although at many times the cost of the alternatives. Quality ain't cheap.

Thanks again.

More
05 Feb 2010 12:50 #5 by runningdeere
Replied by runningdeere on topic Vigor 2820 ability to re-connect
Well when you get it, you need to set the 'Active Mode' in the WAN setup to 'Always On'

It will then reconnect if the connection is dropped for any reason.

More
05 Feb 2010 20:41 #6 by ukengb
Replied by ukengb on topic Vigor 2820 ability to re-connect

runningdeere wrote: Well when you get it, you need to set the 'Active Mode' in the WAN setup to 'Always On'

It will then reconnect if the connection is dropped for any reason.

Thanks for the tip. Just need it to be delivered now.

Moderators: Sami