DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2820 - USB Scanner?

• stuckinthemud
  • Topic Author
More
05 Feb 2010 09:43 #1 by stuckinthemud
Vigor 2820 - USB Scanner? was created by stuckinthemud
Is it possible to use the USB port on a Vigor 2820 for a scanner?

The manual only makes reference to it being used for printing, although I'm thinking that if it's a generic bi-directional port accessible on an IP address, a scanner might work?

Thanks.

Jim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Feb 2010 05:58 #2 by dannyboy1121
Replied by dannyboy1121 on topic Vigor 2820 - USB Scanner?
Typically I don't think the USB port works beyond FAT32 storage (USB drives) and some printers.

Here's the printer FAQ from the Oz site.

http://www.draytek.com.au/faq/USB_printer.htm

I've got a multifunction printer/scanner so I've had to set up another IP device with USB ports as a USB over IP solution. I used this:

http://www.incentivespro.com/downloads.html

My IP device was an old NSLU2 which had been hacked to run OpenWRT. I serve the printer to my Linux Samba DC as the Linux versions are free (I had to do this as my DC is a Citrix VM so no USB pass through). The Samba DC acts as a print server for windows clients which was simple enough - but I knocked up a separate script to get the scanning working from there. Basically the DC scans a directory looking for a file with a job name in it. On the windows clients, I have a basic batch file that takes input for a file name and then drops the file in the directory the DC is scanning. Once the DC picks up the file - it runs the scanner and generates an image using the name the windows box provided.

It's a shame that this kind functionality isn't in the router really as it would be a plus for the product line. However .. the printing features of the Draytek range are basic. Running CUPS on Linux is a much better solution.

Dan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Sami