DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820n and AP-700 - WDS/Universal Repeater/????

• mjolly
  • Topic Author
More
13 Feb 2010 18:18 #1 by mjolly
Hi

Forgive a repeat question, but although this has been asked in the forums a number of times, none of the posts provide a definitive answer.

I have a wireless network from a 2820n which I am trying to extend using an AP-700.

The AP-700 needs to support both wired clients (it is connected to a switch that has a media streamer and telly attached) and wireless clients. Preferrably the wireless side should allow roaming - i.e. I can walk around with my laptop and it will swap between the 2820n and the AP-700 seamlessly. I have installed a WDS setup before that allowed me to do these things.

Does anyone know what settings I need (on both the 2820n and the AP-700) to make this work? I have tried absolutely everything (with and without security on) including all the tips in other posts and it is proving impossible.

Regards

Matt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Feb 2010 14:35 #2 by voodle
WDS would be best to use with that setup - one requirement is that the 2820 has to have 3.3.3 or later, before that it doesn't work well in WDS with the AP700. Use WPA2 security on them for best results and otherwise it should be the same as setting up any other WDS link

• mjolly
  • Topic Author
More
16 Feb 2010 23:44 #3 by mjolly
Not exactly the step by step instructions I was looking for. Frankly if you can't provide a meaningful answer then you should think twice before posting a reply!

However, the good news is I emailed the same question to Draytek support and they provided a Word document that explains exactly how to setup the 2820n and the AP-700 to work with each other. Suffice to say the document answers all the things that I was unsure about.

For my setup I needed to have the 2820n WDS set to Bridge mode. Then use the AP-Bridge WDS option on the AP-700. Both with identical channels, SSIDs, and WPA2 security. But probably best you get the document as it goes into a lot more detail.

Also, the Universal Repeater mode on AP-700 soundspromising for my kind of setup, but appears to provide a second network SSID - not an extension of a single universal SSID. Again - get the document, it explains this much better!

Hope this helps any others in the same boat.

Matt

Moderators: Sami