DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

What Equipment Do I Need For A SOHO?

• norman undercroft
  • Topic Author
More
19 Feb 2010 19:50 #1 by norman undercroft
What Equipment Do I Need For A SOHO? was created by norman undercroft
In my spare bedroom that acts as an office I have desk top PC into which is plugged via USB a Speedtouch modem which in turn is plugged into the phone socket in the room. Also plugged into the PC via USB is my printer.
With the scorching hot summer approaching what I would like to do is add wireless facilities so when I am sat 25M away at the top of the garden under the trees I can access the internet to check work emails via Citrix etc and/or send things to the printer and access the internet for a bit of browsing.
I am quite happy to open the PC case and install an Ethernet 10/100 card etc if that is what is required.
My ISP is TalkTalk and they have unbundled my local exchange and installed their own equipment.
At present I am connecting at 6.5meg and do not suffer with connection problems or dropping of connection.
At a latter date I would like to add the facility to stream video from the desk top PC to the TV downstairs. I live in a detached house so running cables to down stairs is no problem and Iam quite happy to do this.
My question is what parts do I need for a) the wireless part and b) the hard wired video streaming? Which manufacturers with part numbers would be very helpful?
:?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Sami