DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 3300v WAN backup/failover question.

• mtester
  • Topic Author
More
23 Feb 2010 17:25 #1 by mtester
Hello

I have just purchased/installed a Vigor 3300v and I'm looking for some documentation on setting up dual WAN load balancing and WAN backup.

I'd like to know exactly how the above is supposed to work as it's not at all clear in the userguide The reason I ask is that we had a situation here today with one of the WAN lines going down - and the kind of "failover" that we thought we had just didn't materialize as expected.

In a nutshell, internet access ceased until I unplugged the offending line, whence connectivity was restored. Now I thought that if one line were to drop out then the other line would take the load, but apparently not.

Any thoughts and info greatly appreciated.

Regards
Trevor Groome
Instrotech.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Feb 2010 17:39 #2 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic Vigor 3300v WAN backup/failover question.
That means the connnection detection didn't work correctly - if that happens again, try changing the Connection Detection for that WAN connection to Ping Detect and use an address on the internet that you know will pretty much always work, good examples of this are 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 (google's new open DNS servers :))

• mtester
  • Topic Author
More
23 Feb 2010 18:09 #3 by mtester
Replied by mtester on topic Vigor 3300v WAN backup/failover question.
Thanks a lot for your help, that sounds really useful.

I'll give it a go tomorrow.

Cheers!

• mtester
  • Topic Author
More
24 Feb 2010 18:36 #4 by mtester
Replied by mtester on topic Vigor 3300v WAN backup/failover question.
I can see that the default "send ARP to Gateway" may well have given a false impression of availability as the gateway in this case will have been the upstream broadband modem which was indeed working perfectly - the fault was actually further upstream at the exchange. So, I've changed it to "Ping" instead and used your recommendation of using the Google DNS servers as a sounding board. There is some debate about the universal availability of these boxes so I'll be monitoring that too, and maybe settling on something a little closer to home once the dust has settled.

So we'll have to wait an see for next time - hopefully we won't even notice.

I'm still interested in any comments and views concerning the load balancing and backup though as it's far from clear as to what rules are being applied. They make some some reference on one page to Chinese networks for example - one imagines that we stay clear of this page but then who knows!

Moderators: Sami