DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

vigor 2820n content filter config question

• cyber-mav
  • Topic Author
More
24 Feb 2010 23:27 #1 by cyber-mav
hello, i have the 2820n setup with the content filter blocking out websites such as facebook and myspace etc.

is there a way to allow certain machines on the network access to the blocked content?
thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• cyber-mav
  • Topic Author
More
24 Feb 2010 23:55 #2 by cyber-mav
Replied by cyber-mav on topic vigor 2820n content filter config question
thought i would add some more info,

the computers that i want content filtered should be ip address range 10.0.0.30 onwards and i would like computers from ip address 10.0.0.1 to 10.0.0.29 to be excluded from the web filtering and content filtering.

is this possible?

thanks

• cyber-mav
  • Topic Author
More
25 Feb 2010 22:58 #3 by cyber-mav
hey all since i got no replies to this im gonna assume that its not possible with this router. question is, is there a router i can get that will handle this sort of thing?
thanks

More
25 Feb 2010 23:44 #4 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic vigor 2820n content filter config question
It is, basically you'll have to use the filter rules to do it rather than Firewall > General Setup.

Actually you'd only need one filter rule, direction LAN > WAN, Source IP would be range from 10.0.0.30 to .254, Action would be Pass Immediately and you'd tag on the web content filter there.

edit: do you post on the ocuk forums?

More
26 Feb 2010 07:24 #5 by rolandrat
Replied by rolandrat on topic vigor 2820n content filter config question
Yes in can be done as described as I use it all the time to limit kids laptops to various degrees of blocking.
Dont forget you set a catch all under the FIREWALL/GENERALSETUP, this is where all PC's that are not in the filters get caught.
You need to bind IP's to MAC addresses so the pc's get the same IP address all the time. Setup IP objects for each PC, basically so you can reference them in the filters by object name etc, also create a object group so that you can group together more than one PC into the same filter if need be.
FIREWALL/FILTER SETUP/ Default data filter - Source IP is grp or object name, filter drop box is 'pass if no further match', then you just pick the rules in the IM/PTP, URL, Web content filter drop boxes (obviously you will have had to setup some in advance)
You can go mad with this if you want, but I tend to keep it simple and just have filters for kids, teens and me, and the general default for any guests.

• cyber-mav
  • Topic Author
More
26 Feb 2010 20:29 #6 by cyber-mav
hello, thanks for the replies, looks like this can be done then. i have sent the router to issue DHCP addresses from 10.0.0.30 and upwards, the 50 client machines dont need static ip addresses, the printers and the server are based on ip addresses below 10.0.0.30 which is fixed so they can be accessed without looking up the ip address all the time.

i have already made a few filter groups, 1 to block messenger apps, 1 for web blocks such as chat sites, facebook etc.

yes i do have an account on the ocuk forums, and hexus too, gets me free delivery from ocuk and scan that way. :P

Moderators: Sami