Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2820 and ADSL2+

• trebor
  • Topic Author
More
26 Feb 2010 11:05 #1 by trebor
Vigor 2820 and ADSL2+ was created by trebor
Can anyone help me please?

We've supplied and supported Vigor routers as an IT business for many years and always been very impressed with them. However we are noticing that with the introduction of ADSL 2+ exchanges they are failing to perform as well as bottom of the range products.

The problems are nothing I can put my finger on, but odd things like failing to allow mobile phones to sync with exchange etc..

Is anyone else notiicing any issues as ADSL2+ is rolled out??

rob

Rob Brown

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Feb 2010 12:53 #2 by runningdeere
Replied by runningdeere on topic Vigor 2820 and ADSL2+
I have a 2820 myself on Be ADSL2+, and I have supplied several others.

I have found them to be pretty much bomb-proof, although I have to say I only have the standard model - no wireless or VOIP
They do perform slightly worse than a lot of other routers in relation to connection speed, but I'm quite happy to trade a bit of speed for its features and reliability.

More
02 Mar 2010 12:10 #3 by darren-mc
Replied by darren-mc on topic Vigor 2820 and ADSL2+
I am having terrible stability issues with my 2820 and 21CN. The router seems to dropping the line every now and again which causes it to re-sync.

More
02 Mar 2010 12:23 #4 by runningdeere
Replied by runningdeere on topic Vigor 2820 and ADSL2+

darren-mc wrote: I am having terrible stability issues with my 2820 and 21CN. The router seems to dropping the line every now and again which causes it to re-sync.

ADSL2+ (which is basically what 21CN is) is much more prone to line problems and noise.
I suggest doing a quiet line test first of all.
I also think it could be beneficial if you got a Filtered faceplate for your master socket from ADSL Nation, and made sure the bell wire was disconnected

Also check your routers firmware is up to date.

More
03 Mar 2010 08:10 #5 by darren-mc
Replied by darren-mc on topic Vigor 2820 and ADSL2+
This is a firmware issue. If I roll back to pre 3.3.3 then everything works fine. On 3.3.3 the router keeps loosing sync.

More
03 Mar 2010 08:58 #6 by rothers
Replied by rothers on topic Vigor 2820 and ADSL2+
I've backed-off modulation from G992.5 to G992.3 and stability is greatly improved with very little loss of max down speed, 10MBps -> 8MBps

SNR now never goes bellow 10dB, with G992.5 it would sometimes temporarily reduce to as low as 4dB resulting dreadful performance.

Overall ADSL2 is giving em a much better "experience" than ADSL+

This is on Demon C&W btw.

Moderators: Sami