Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

3G Modem backup

• cfaulkner
  • Topic Author
More
01 Mar 2010 15:40 #1 by cfaulkner
3G Modem backup was created by cfaulkner
Hi,

We are looking at the Vigor 2820 because of it's redundancy features, i.e. when the main ADSL line drops a 3G modem can be used to provide a connection, however, i have a question which i'm hoping someone will be able to answer.

We run our own mail server and have a static IP Address through our ISP, the mx records for our domain point to this static IP, if the main ADSL line drops and we end up using the 3G modem, is there a way of mapping that interface on the router config page to an IP address ?

Thanks for your help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Mar 2010 16:08 #2 by jsturtridge
Replied by jsturtridge on topic 3G Modem backup
It's highly unlikely that you could re-map your usual IP onto your 3G connection. You could try using a dyndns service and then using that address in your MX record (in position 20) so that if the initial MX lookup fails (because your ADSL line is down) then it will try the dyndns address.

HTH - J.

• cfaulkner
  • Topic Author
More
02 Mar 2010 16:11 #3 by cfaulkner
Replied by cfaulkner on topic 3G Modem backup
As i thought, thank you for your answer, much appreciated.

:)

More
05 Mar 2010 13:05 #4 by nealuk
Replied by nealuk on topic 3G Modem backup
You are likely to find the limitation is with your 3G data provider.

Most "off the shelf" 3G dongles data service goes through another firewall, and as such you don't get a static IP address. Often incoming data packets is blocked at the providers firewall.

You would need a Fixed IP addresss 3G service, try Vodafone or Nucleus Networks. These generally require a monthly contract of £35 upwards.

The other idea may be the USB dial-up modem for the DV2820. The speed would be slow in comparison, but you could point the MX 20 record to the IP you get on Dial Up, and then at least email messages can keep on flowing.

Regards,

Neal.

Moderators: Sami