DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

DHCP service to support multiple IP Address Pools

• coderus
  • Topic Author
More
02 Mar 2010 11:08 #1 by coderus
Hi,
It would be great is I could control, either one (and multiple IP Address pools), so I could specify

1) IP Pool's for specifically VPN (for L2TP/PPTP Client)
2) IP Pool's for specifically VLAN's
3) IP Pool's for specifically SSID's

I would like this, so then each of the area's you specify which IP Address Pool you want to use for said interface. The default would be of course a single IP address pool, but would allow some of us to specific different pool's depending on our requirements.

Thanks
Mark.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Mar 2010 21:04 #2 by admin
Which router; most only support a single LAN-side subnet.

Forum Administrator

• coderus
  • Topic Author
More
08 Mar 2010 10:48 #3 by coderus
Personally for my needs would be on 2820 - Yes today currently only support single LAN side.

However because VLAN is layer 2, and IP (i.e. DHCP is layer 3) - Using VLAN there's nothing stopping you have 3 separate pools.

However to keep your setup easier I would use the same IP numbering but spilt it up into

VLAN1 - 192.168.1.0 -> 50
VLAN2 - 192.168.1.51 -> 100
VLAN3 - 192.168.1.101 ->150
VLAN4 - 192.168.1.151 -> 200
..etc

Also see

<snip>
Virtual LANs are essentially Layer 2 constructs, compared with IP subnets which are Layer 3 constructs. In an environment employing VLANs, a one-to-one relationship often exists between VLANs and IP subnets, although it is possible to have multiple subnets on one VLAN or have one subnet spread across multiple VLANs. Virtual LANs and IP subnets provide independent Layer 2 and Layer 3 constructs that map to one another and this correspondence is useful during the network design process.
</snip>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_LAN

Thanks
Mark.

Moderators: Sami