DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

DynamicDNS Auto update interval causes blocked for abuse!

• m0thr4
  • Topic Author
More
22 Mar 2010 12:20 #7 by m0thr4

grnglide wrote: But as long as you set it to the maximum value (14400 minutes - 10 days) they don't seem to mind. You will always get some unnecessary updates if the router reboots etc.

Unfortunately, with the cheap & nasty ISP our company is using, the IP address can change much more frequently than that!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Mar 2010 12:21 #8 by sportbilly
Answered your own question there - get a decent ISP

Virgin home connection are all dynamic but all (that I have come across) ADSL suppliers have a static IP options some way or another.

More
22 Mar 2010 12:43 #9 by njh
Just use DtDNS and drop DynDNS. You will never get any problems.

2900Gi/v2.5.6; 2900/v2.5.6

More
31 Mar 2010 13:29 #10 by jimryder

m0thr4 wrote: The real problem is twofold:

1. The Vigor 2820 only supports updating DynDNS on a regular basis, rather than when the IP address is detected as having changed. This breaks the first rule of their abuse policy: "Client updates at regular intervals: Clients should only send updates when a change is detected, but some are programmed to send updates at scheduled intervals, e.g. every five minutes or every hour."

2. Draytek routers are not officially supported by DnyDNS (see https://www.dyndns.com/support/clients/hardware/), probably as a result of point 1.

I have set the update interval to 1440 (= 24 hours) and will see how I get on.

I use dyndns with my 2910VG. Not had any problems with them EXCEPT that as I'm a cable user my IP hardly (if) ever changes... as a result I have to manually log into dyndns monthly to prevent my account expiring as they think there hasn't been any activity!

More
31 Mar 2010 19:07 #11 by njh

jimryder wrote: I use dyndns with my 2910VG. Not had any problems with them EXCEPT that as I'm a cable user my IP hardly (if) ever changes... as a result I have to manually log into dyndns monthly to prevent my account expiring as they think there hasn't been any activity!

That is an advantage of DtDNS. Your account won't expire and you won't get abuse messages.

2900Gi/v2.5.6; 2900/v2.5.6

Moderators: Sami