DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2910 alert when client reaches a data download limit?

• simonlethem
  • Topic Author
More
05 Mar 2010 15:15 #1 by simonlethem
Hi - hope somebody can help! I have a Vigor 2910 which provides a wired & wireless service in a villa that I rent out to guests. I let the guests have free broadband, which comes via a satellite link (there is no copper connection near the house, so this is the only option - and it works brilliantly).

There is only one problem - there is a data usage cap on the satellite broadband. Usually it is fine, but if one of my guests spends all day sending their holiday snaps back home to their mums and dads, the cap can be reached, and the service goes into "throttled" mode. This means that for the next month every other guest (and me too) gets a really degraded and slow service until the throttle is lifted.

Anyway, sorry for the long intro - here is the question at last!

1. Is there anything I can do on the router, or with another piece of software, to monitor the amount of data uploaded and downloaded by each client IP on the network? It needs to work on data volume, not bandwidth utilisation.
2. If so, can I trigger one or more actions - e.g an email alert, or even a block on the client IP that has crossed the threshold
3. Ideally I'd like to set 2 thresholds per client - a warning threshold and a blocked threshold.

I can access and manage the Draytek router remotely, and if necessary I can have a server running at the location if I need to host any software locally.

Any ideas very gratefully received.

Thanks ... Simon

PS have a look around the house at www.thegecko.org.uk :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• simonlethem
  • Topic Author
More
08 Mar 2010 12:02 #2 by simonlethem
Replied by simonlethem on topic Found an answer
In case anyone is following this thread, I've found a good answer which is to set up an SNMP trap and track throughput on the WAN lnk. When usage reaces a threshold I can automatically trigger an mail alert.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Sami