DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Using Vigor 2600Plus on network as print server only

• varidex
  • Topic Author
More
08 Mar 2010 11:34 #1 by varidex
I am having to retire my Vigor 2600Plus in favour of a modem/router which supports ADSL2+. But I would still like to use the Vigor as a print server in my network. What do I need to do to set this up, please?

In my current set-up a Netgear Wireless Access Point connects my laptop to the Vigor from which I can then access the internet and print. The Vigor DHCP is on.

I find networking a black art so would prefer step-by-step instructions if you wouldn't mind.

Cheers

Kevin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Mar 2010 20:35 #2 by njh
It is hard to give you detailed instructions without knowing a bit about your new router.

Let us assume you want your new router to do the DHCP (it makes sense), then (and it is probably best done with a wired connection):

1 - Plug your PC into your new router.
2 - Do Start > Run > cmd to open a command prompt
3 - Type "ipconfig" in the box and note your gateway address and IP address.
4 - Disconnect your PC from the new router and connect it to the old one. Either restart the PC or type "ipconfig /release" then "ipconfig /renew" in the command prompt.
5 - Log onto your old router.
6 - In LAN TCP/IP and DHCP Setup change:
a - If your gateway address from above ends in anything but .2, change 1st IP Address to the same but .2 on the end. Otherwise post back. (I have made the assumption that .2 is outside the DHCP range of your new router)
b - In DHCP Server Configuration, check the Disable button.
7 - Disconnect and Reboot the 2600.
8 - Plug your PC back into the new router then either restart the PC or type "ipconfig /release" then "ipconfig /renew" in the command prompt.
9 - Connect the a LAN port of the new router into a LAN port of the Draytek. Your Draytek should now work as a print server (and you can use the three extra ports for LAN connections if you want).
10 - On your PC, assuming you were already using it as a print server, open the printer settings > Ports tab. select the printer port then the Configure Port button. Change the Printer Name or IP Address to the address you used in 6.

2900Gi/v2.5.6; 2900/v2.5.6

• varidex
  • Topic Author
More
09 Mar 2010 09:19 #3 by varidex
Many, many thanks. Your instructions are exactly what I need.

The new modem/router is on order and should reach me shortly. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I won't have to bother you again!

Cheers

Kevin

Moderators: Sami