DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2910: general traffic wan 1, specific traffic (rdp) wan 2

• roga
  • Topic Author
More
13 Mar 2010 12:54 #1 by roga
I want to dedicate the wan 2 interface on my 2910 specifically for RDP (Microsoft remote desktop) traffic. I have a number of servers which use rdp, and so port forwarding is used.

What is the easiest way to have all general traffic use wan1, and only the port forwarded rdp via wan 2?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Mar 2010 22:13 #2 by voodle
If it's connections coming in to the router using port forwarding, just give out the WAN2 IP rather than the WAN1 IP for connecting with RDP - the router can only control which WAN connection is used for outbound stuff - inbound stuff would be decided by which connection it comes in on.

edit: however if you want to specify it so that WAN1 is used for all other traffic, go to the Load Balance Policy bit under the WAN menu on the router, select one of the indexes on there, leave protocol set to Any, select WAN1, enable the rule and leave the port/IP details blank - that should put all other traffic through WAN1 rather than WAN2, if you want to free up bandwidth.

• roga
  • Topic Author
More
15 Mar 2010 08:18 #3 by roga

Voodle wrote:
if you want to specify it so that WAN1 is used for all other traffic, go to the Load Balance Policy bit under the WAN menu on the router

thanks that's helpful

actually I discovered there is also a bit under the portforwarding which tells it which public IP to listen on

roga

More
15 Mar 2010 12:38 #4 by sbv3000
if you leave your port forwarding as 'ANY' and use Dynamic DNS to connect to the servers, you can choose the network connection by use of the DNS name. Useful if one WAN link has gone down.

Moderators: Sami