DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

DDNS (DynDNS) addresses sometimes wrong (Vigor2110 FW 3.3.2)

• klaymen
  • Topic Author
More
16 Mar 2010 07:50 #1 by klaymen
Hi all,

We have a Vigor 2110vn router, firmware release 3.3.2. It uses DHCP on the WAN side (dynamic IPs) and DDNS to register the (dynamic) IP on dyndns.org. In the intranet there is a webserver that needs to be reachable from internet.

Due to an unknown problem related to the ISP and/or dyndns it occurs from time to time that an obviously private IP (192.168.100.10) is resolved for the dyndns name. In those cases the resolved IP and the WAN IP of the router are out of sync, and my webserver not reachable anymore. I tried to contact my ISP, but had no success. As I can't solve the problem, I need a workaround.

My idea for a workaround was using a script on my internal webserver that periodically checks the name resolution and whenever it detects this problem logs into the router (telnet) and reboots the router. Unfortunately rebooting doesn't make it setting the dyndns address automatically. I tried several commands, and finally the problem was fixed, but I don't know which command precisely solved the problem. I think it might have been "mngt fixwan".

So my first question: how can you make the router to reset the dyndns entry by using the telnet interface (I know via webinterface, but as it should be done by an automatic script, the telnet interface is more suitable).

And my second question: is there any documentation about the telnet commands? Like this "mngt fixwan" - what does that do? I tried to google, but no success, "fixwan" on this forum search didn't return anything. I tried the "?" command, but that only tells you the parameters (this way I found about this command), but not what they do. "fixwan" hints something in the direction I looked for, but how can I be sure?

Thanks in advance, Andy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Mar 2010 12:58 #2 by coderus
I've have had DDNS issues in the past of sending the wrong WAN address (and using that private address instead), but this was on a 2820Vn - I'm hoping that upgrading to the latest resolves the issue.

Thanks
Mark.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Sami