DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Configuring a 2900 to accept SMTP only from Messagelabs IPs

• peter-h
  • Topic Author
More
25 Mar 2010 15:01 #1 by peter-h
Hi,

I have a 2900 router in front of an email server.

The server used to receive email directly from outside but we were getting major problems with spam and DOS attacks, and I have just signed up with Messagelabs to filter the email.

The ML output is now routed to our email server, which has much less work to do.

Unfortunately a lot of spam still comes *direct* to our email server, for various reasons.

Messagelabs recommend setting up a firewall so that emails are received only from their IP ranges

http://imageserver.messagelabs.com/EmailResources/ImplementationGuides/Subnet_IP.pdf

Is it possible to set this up on the 2900 router?

I can see it under IP Filter / Firewall setup but cannot work out whether I should use the data filter or the call filter, and how the IP ranges should be specified.

Also one needs to set up 10 different addresses; I am not sure there is room in the 2900 for that many rules.

Could anyone point me to some text on how to set this up?

I know SMTP is port 25 but I am unclear on the Draytek filter config and how to achieve all 10 filters, and then block all connections from all other IPs.

Many thanks in advance,

Peter

email peter (at) peter2000.co.uk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• peter-h
  • Topic Author
More
29 Mar 2010 16:38 #2 by peter-h
Perhaps predictably without any help here, or (more suprisingly) any examples to be found on google, I did finally work out how to do this, spread over two sets of filters.

It is not intuitive in places...

It is hard to describe without screenshots, so if anybody wants to do this, drop me an email on peter (-at-) peter2000 co uk.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Sami