DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820 Object creation bug.

• simonicemans
  • Topic Author
More
25 Mar 2010 16:48 #1 by simonicemans
2820 Object creation bug. was created by simonicemans
I intend to submit the following bug report, but out of interest, has anyone else seen this? I'm surprised that this has remained unaddressed in a 4/5 month old firmware....

Bug report follows :

When trying to define a new object, you will often (in more than 90% of cases) get the following error.

Get Control Name Error !
The latest configuration will be ignored, and system administrator should return to previous webpage to configure again.

And the object will not be created.

I have tried this with IP objects, IP Group Objects and service type objects, all with similar results.
Once the object is successfully created then it appers to work properly if accessed in a firewall rule.
It is creating the object in the first place that is the problem.

Changing an existing object will sometimes fail with the same error message although not as frequently.

This issue has been recreated on two different 2820 routers (serial numbers : 08B00147xxxx and 09B00163xxxx).

The routers have both been reset to factory defaults and the problem persists on both.
The firmware version in use is the latest available from your website - v3.3.3

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Mar 2010 20:16 #2 by cvoce
Replied by cvoce on topic 2820 Object creation bug.
Yes, I have seen the same issue on 2 seperate 2820 routers, and am also surprised that it has been around for so long. I first had the issue in November/December last year, then again today.

DO you have a workaround? I get the error EVERY time on this router!

More
25 Mar 2010 20:39 #3 by cvoce
Replied by cvoce on topic 2820 Object creation bug.
Actually I found a workaround.

I was trying to set up 6 IP Objects to add to an IP Group, which was in a Firewall Rule.

If I added an IP Object, then tried to add a 2nd or edit the first, then I could not do so until I did something else. Adding that IP Object to the IP Group worked, and then I could go back and add 1 more IP Object, add that to the group, etc, etc.

What an absolute pain! 2 hours to do a 30 second job. Hey ho, cheaper than a Cisco I guess...

• simonicemans
  • Topic Author
More
25 Mar 2010 21:35 #4 by simonicemans
Replied by simonicemans on topic 2820 Object creation bug.
Apparently this is a known issue with V3.3.3 and there is a Beta firmware that one can obtain from support to correct it.

I have already emailed them a bug report about it before discovering this, so I'll just wait for them to reply.

I'll post back here my results.

• simonicemans
  • Topic Author
More
26 Mar 2010 12:52 #5 by simonicemans
Replied by simonicemans on topic 2820 Object creation bug.
I had a reply to my bug report this morning and they had attached a new firmware - v3.3.4-RC4 (release candidate number 4 for v3.3.4), dated Jan 2010. I loaded it onto our spare 2820 and it does indeed cure the object creation bug.

However, I've noticed that the modem firmware is v211011, whereas the version in firmware 3.3.3 is v232201, so I'm reluctant to put this onto our two production routers at the moment as I've seen in other posts that the quality of the connection on 21CN can vary depending on the version of modem firmware that the router is running.

Can anyone clarify how this works please? Is the modem firmware contained within the router firmware image? Is it automatically loaded into the modem when the router's firmware is upgraded?

More
26 Mar 2010 15:11 #6 by howard simpson
Replied by howard simpson on topic 2820 Object creation bug.
I am running that Beta firmware and have been for 3 weeks. That modem code is the most stable I have had on my 2820. It is perhaps not the fastest connection ive had but it has been up for 2 weeks now without a reconnect. The errors are the lowest I have ever seen.

Howard

Moderators: Sami