DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2900 & Virgin Media 20MB service - only getting 10

• its_epsom
  • Topic Author
More
31 Mar 2010 15:35 #1 by its_epsom
Hi

I have been using my trusty 2900 (firmware 2.5.6) with my Virgin media 10MB "L" broadband for well over a year without problem.

Last week I upgraded to the 20MB "XL" service. However when running speedtests my download speed was still limited to 10MB. I tried plugging my PC directly into the virgin modem and I was then able to get the full 20MB. I then tried using another newer Linksys rotuer in place of my 2900 and again was able to download at 20MB!

It seems as though the WAN port on the 2900 is limited to 10MB? Is that right? Should I be able to get more than 10MB through the WAN port on the 2900, surely I should? I don't really want to have to spend £100+ on a new vigor 2110......

Can anyone shed any light on this??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Mar 2010 19:10 #2 by njh
The 2900 only has a rated WAN->LAN throughput of 16Mbps, although when I tested mine a few years ago I could get just over 20. Turn off as much processing load as possible (such as QoS and the DoS Defense filters) and see what you can get.

2900Gi/v2.5.6; 2900/v2.5.6

• its_epsom
  • Topic Author
More
31 Mar 2010 22:48 #3 by its_epsom
thanks will try that. i need the qos though as i use voip, still will disable to test. thanks again.

More
01 Apr 2010 09:33 #4 by voodle
Definitely check whether you've got QoS enabled, I think the default speeds for that are 10Mbps each direction which would limit the speed like you're seeing.

Also check the port settings which is under Internet Access Setup > Static or Dynamic IP, change it from Auto negotiation to 100M full / half duplex.

• its_epsom
  • Topic Author
More
01 Apr 2010 10:10 #5 by its_epsom
Nope, even with all QoS disabed and the router set to 100MB full duplex I am not seeing more than 10MB. As soon as I revert to the Linksys WRT150N it jumps back to 19-20MB. How very annoying!!

Looks like I'm going to have to stump up for a 2100 unless anyone else can help?

More
01 Apr 2010 13:27 #6 by voodle
What modem are you using with the 2900? Try half duplex, depending on the modem you've got it might be picky about the port settings. Also what kind of traffic is it thats going through it, speedtest sites?

Moderators: Sami