DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

AFM-102 Modem not responding.

More
02 Apr 2010 11:39 #1 by cwx
AFM-102 Modem not responding. was created by cwx
I just bit the bullet and dropped a not insignificant amount of money on the 2820 and the backup AFM-102 modem.
After getting set up and discovering that the 2820 doesn't work out the box with the 56k modem (thanks Draytek! Wasn't expecting that one :roll: ) I flashed the beta firmware and got it going.
(Went from 3.3.3 to 3313segRC2/Beta).

It works fine if I click 'dial' on the status page, but if I pull the ADSL plug it just sits there gloating that it cost me £30 and does nothing.
The 'General Setup' page gives the option of starting Wan2 if Wan1 fails, but there's no option to start Wan3 (dialup).

I've run out of ideas and have pulled the ADSL plug so many times I have now been bumped from 8MB to 6MB as the exchange keeps seeing random disconnects.

Can someone help me out please :?:

Edit:
This thing is awesome - turns out the flashing light on the side of it is the unit constantly dialing then hanging up (I tried to use the phone line for a call).
I think the best place for this is either the box it came in for another 6 months until a firmware update fixes it, or the nearest bin.

If anyone is thinking of using the AFM-102, DON'T!
Either buy a 3G modem, or connect something else to the Wan2 port.
If you are going to buy one, simulate one first by dialing a random number and leaving your phone off the hook, and then incenerate £30 in cash.
You will actually save time from not trying to get it to work.

There is no emoticon frowny enough to convey my feelings about this device...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Apr 2010 19:36 #2 by nealuk
Replied by nealuk on topic AFM-102 Modem not responding.
Hi cwx,

your experiences are frustrating... and I had a similar situation... here's how I got the AFM-102 working:

Go for a 10 second reset on your current unit & firmware.

Switch off and leave for 30 seconds

Switch on and give the device time to initiate.

Log in [ 192.168.1.1 admin blank ] and "update" the firmware version to an older one, close to the time of the release of the Beta Dial Up Firmware - such as V 3.3.2.1

Once the firmware change is complete switch off and leave for 30 seconds

Go for a 10 second reset - then wait for initiation.

Log in [ 192.168.1.1 admin blank ] and update the firmware to the Beta Dial Up Firmware.

Once the firmware change is complete switch off and leave for 30 seconds

Go for a 10 second reset - then wait for initiation.

Now proceed to change the settings to how you like them, and also with the dial up modem. I am confident it will perform more satisfactorily for you now.

I know the steps above may appear long-winded, but I've tried to cut corners on this one and wasted hours getting frustrated.

Also, a quick search in this forum for'AFM-102' may turn up some other gems of wisdom and close firmwares to step-stone through.

I also got the Connexant drivers, so I can plug the Modem in to a PC and confirm that the modem does actually work correctly.

Regards,

Neal.

More
05 Apr 2010 11:25 #3 by cwx
Replied by cwx on topic AFM-102 Modem not responding.
Hi Neal;

Many thanks for your response - I made some time and followed it through exactly as written and got much further than I thought I would - the modem now half works!

If I connect it after the ADSL connection is up, it sits ready, and dials when the connection drops.
The only problem is that it doesn't listen to the far end modem - it just dials again over the top of the response and keeps doing so until unplugged.

Looking at the firmware it was released June 2009, and is missing from the latest 3.3.3 release - it looks like even Draytek have given up on this lemon.

Thanks again for your help, but Ijust can't trust this little bugger to be connected to my phone line without supervision, which sort of defeats the idea of it as an automatic backup for when I'm off site.

Maybe I'll do as you did and download the connexant driver, then use it for something else - possibly to auto-dial Draytek every day to remind them that that are selling a product that doesn't work and isn't 'fit for purpose' .
http://tiny.cc/r4715

Moderators: Sami