DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820 How Do I Get WAN 1 to auto-start on WAN 2 Failure?

• torchydt
  • Topic Author
More
04 Apr 2010 17:30 #1 by torchydt
Hi, have a 2820 running 3.3.3. WAN 1 is (slower) ADSL line from BT. WAN 2 is 50 MB cable service from Virgin Media. The latter is great when it works, but is patchy in use and often 'hangs' unless I unplug and re-plug the power to the modem.

I have WAN 1 set to activate on WAN 2 failure. When I pull the plug out of the VM modem WAN 1 will dial out and connect, but not until the power is pulled. It's almost as if because it's still seeing some sort of connection on WAN 2 it doesn't count as a failure.

I see that I can make WAN 1 activate if WAN 2 speeds are ABOVE a certain value, but not BELOW which I think is what I need.

Is there a way to do what I want whilst I wait for Virgin to supply me with a working service?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Apr 2010 21:17 #2 by timmann999
Its staying connected as it can still see it as a gateway. What you need to do is change what it looks for when the connection goes down. Go to Internet Access and select WAN2, then change WAN Connection Detection from ARP to PING, then put in the ip of google or something. It will then detect when the inet ping fails, which should be more reliable.

Hope this helps,
Tim

• torchydt
  • Topic Author
More
10 Apr 2010 08:27 #3 by torchydt
Tim, thanks for that it looks like it will do the trick. I'll give it a try. Out of interest do you know how often the Draytek pings the site? Interested to know if there's likely to be much of a lag between the Virgin modem misbehaving and the ADSL line connecting.

David

More
12 Apr 2010 17:06 #4 by timmann999
I don't Im afraid, in tests it seems to pick it up within a minute so Im guessing its 30-60 seconds, certainly not instant but should be good enough in most cases.

More
12 Apr 2010 22:54 #5 by cocospm
You can set the ping frequency via Telnet, using commands such as these (the example here sets the frequency to 10 seconds for each WAN connection):

Code:
wan detect wan1 ttl 10 wan detect wan2 ttl 10

[/code]

• torchydt
  • Topic Author
More
13 Apr 2010 08:49 #6 by torchydt
That's fantastic. Many thanks.

Moderators: Sami