DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Slow file copy on 2820n when using Gbit port and Wi-fi 'n'

• crunchbytes
  • Topic Author
More
17 Apr 2010 15:35 #1 by crunchbytes
Hello all,

Have an odd problem with a 2820n, firmware 3.3.3, when copying files from a Windows 7 ATOM based machine (my media PC), or a Linux based 'SheevaPlug' connected via the Gbit port (at Gbit speed) to a MacBook Pro 10.6.3 connected via Wifi 'n'.

In this situation, the file copies (initiated on MacBook) are extremely slow - less than 1MB/sec.

However, plug the devices into a 100Mbit port and the file transfers fly along at 7-8MB/sec. Plug back into Gbit port - slooow.

The results are the same regardless of the device plugged into the Gbit port.

Current fix is to tie-down the Gbit port on the ATOM mobo to 100Mbit full-duplex (port space on the router is tight) - but this isn't really a satisfactory solution for my media PC.

I appreciate I need to do some more testing - like copying files via the LAN ports, and to/from the Mac when using LAN ports, and using Gbit and 'g' Wi-fi, but I'm curious as to whether anyone else has come across this issue?

Regards, RIchard

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Apr 2010 12:48 #2 by stuc
Just a long shot are you sure the cable is fully populated/gig compatible.
My understanding on networking kit is that Gig uses all 8 conductors or tries too, if it can't it falls back to a "best wire speed" using the conductors it can and not all kit is the same.

Not sure if this relates to this issue but stating what is at either end of the cable (and if it is straight/cross over) may narrow the problem down.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Sami