DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Intermittent internet via Draytek VIGOR 2820n from VISTA

More
21 Apr 2010 15:29 #1 by tvh
Hi

We have a network with a broadband connection managed by a VIGOR 2820n router. We are having trouble with two recent VISTA machines. They appear to be unable to access the internet intermittently, whilst other machines running Linux Fedora and Windows XP are working fine.

Whilst other machines are working perfectly, we can ping the local IP of the router with good, consistent timings. At the same time, running in another command prompt on the same workstation, we can be trying to ping an external address (either site name or numeric IP). At the same time, another linux or XP workstation can be pinging everything successfully.

We have switched off the VISTA default of having IPV6stack active.

Does anyone know what might be causing this?

Thanks

Tayler

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2010 16:21 #2 by stuc
Out of interest is the Vista firewall on or off?
If on does it make any difference off?

More
22 Apr 2010 08:21 #3 by tvh
Thanks for your reply. It doesn't make any difference whether it is on or off.

Tayler

More
22 Apr 2010 09:56 #4 by stuc
I assume you've been googling for general Vista router problems - here is one hit http://www.reviewingit.com/index.php/content/view/29/2/

I think it will (from the other evidence) be Vista related rather than Draytek specific so generic answers may help.

More
22 Apr 2010 12:30 #5 by howard simpson
I assume that the PCs are connected by wire to the router rather than wireless. If its wireless then its likely to be driver related as I had problems with Vista and wireless especially if its 64 bit vista.

Howard

More
22 Apr 2010 12:52 #6 by runningdeere
Vista's networking is basically broken - they have implemented an 'auto-tuning' network stack which just seems to slow the network connection to a crawl.

The following will tell you how to disable this:

Running "netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled" at a command prompt turns the clearly BROKEN microsoft auto-tuning BS in the network stack OFF. I'm not sure what algorithm they use, but someone needs to convey to them that it's severely lacking and causing MAJOR issues. I now have to inform THOUSANDS of users that if they are running Vista, they need to have and administrator come to their PC and run this.

(This does not seem to be a problem in Windows 7, so it's either disabled by default or fixed.)

Moderators: Sami