DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820N WAN2 Only

• davegarratt
  • Topic Author
More
24 Apr 2010 08:32 #1 by davegarratt
2820N WAN2 Only was created by davegarratt
If I want to experiment with a ethernet modem from a different vendor (chipset) to see if it improves my currently unstable line is it possible to run the 2820N so that it only has a ADSL connection on WAN2 ?

Also can someone recommend a non Vigor ethernet modem I can try, preferably something suitable for a long line (2mb speed). My exchange has just started moving people over to ADSL2+ and I'm getting daily line drops and re-syncs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• davegarratt
  • Topic Author
More
24 Apr 2010 21:54 #2 by davegarratt
Replied by davegarratt on topic 2820N WAN2 Only
Well - I've tried a netgear DN111P on WAN2 with no success. I've previously configured a Vigor 120 without any problems so not sure what's wrong. Wen though all the bridging modes on the modem with no luck. I did notice that it was syncing much better that the Vigor - but not much use unless it works with the router - oh well back to the shop. I think I'm going to have to swap out the 2820N with a basic Netgear wireless solution until I can figure out whats causing the 2820 to drop the line so often.

More
29 Apr 2010 21:45 #3 by jchamier
Replied by jchamier on topic Re: 2820N WAN2 Only

DaveGarratt wrote: If I want to experiment with a ethernet modem from a different vendor (chipset) to see if it improves my currently unstable line is it possible to run the 2820N so that it only has a ADSL connection on WAN2 ?

Yes - I'm using a 2820Vn with WAN2 connected to my ISP supplied Thomson TG585v7 - the Thomson is in bridge mode, so the 2820 handles the public IP.

I'm doing this as the Thomson can retain the sync slightly lower than the Draytek, and I have some random noise problems about once a week.

Vigor2820Vn - BT Infinity 2 - Download: 45 megabit/sec - Upload: 8 megabit/sec

• davegarratt
  • Topic Author
More
30 Apr 2010 00:19 #4 by davegarratt
Replied by davegarratt on topic 2820N WAN2 Only
I have one of those as well supplied by Plusnet - how did you get it into bridge mode. The web menus seem very basic and I've not had much luck getting non Draytek modems working on WAN2. If you could spare a few minutes to go over what you did it would be very helpful to me.

Many thanks

Dave

Moderators: Sami