DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

External Management- enabling FTP Server enables SSH,.. Bug?

• gizmo911uk
  • Topic Author
More
29 Apr 2010 16:44 #1 by gizmo911uk
Hi all,

I have recently acquired a DrayTek 2820Vn which I am in the middle of setting up.

The router is connected to the web via ADSL using the ADSL port.
I have a web server connected to my LAN. With ‘Port Redirection’ configure to forward external port 80 to my internal web server which is serving on port 80.
I have no other ‘Port Redirections’, ‘Open Ports’ or ‘DMZ Hosts’ configured.

What I would like to achieve is to enable the FTP function on my DrayTek 2820Vn so I could also have an FTP server that I could access externally.
Currently I have the FTP/SMB function working just for internal use.

To enable external FTP access, I thought this would be as simple as going to ‘System Maintenance’ >> ‘Management’, then checking the ‘Allow management from the Internet’ option, then checking just the ‘FTP Server’ option and then OK’ing the changes.
Like so:

Although I could now FTP to the routers FTP Server, connecting via HTTP (port 80) now brought me to the routers configuration pages instead of my web server.
And now I could also access my DrayTek 2820Vn externally via HTTPS, Telnet and SSH.

So just to summarize, just by enabling ‘Allow management from the Internet’ option, then checking the ‘FTP Server’ option. I could now access my DrayTek 2820Vn externally via FTP, HTTP, HTTPS, Telnet and SSH.

Is this a bug? Or have I just got a bit confused because it’s not working the way I predicted?

Many Thanks
Gary

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Apr 2010 18:58 #2 by nealuk
The Management page takes priority... so if for example you look at:
Management Port Set up and change user defined http port from 80 to 8080 say for example, you'll then see your web server again on port 80 from the internet.

• gizmo911uk
  • Topic Author
More
29 Apr 2010 20:37 #3 by gizmo911uk
Thanks for your reply.

I get what you mean, but as in that screen shot I have posted I have only enabled the FTP Server. Therfore should the management page not only take priority when the specified FTP port is envolved.

And why am I able to connect to the router externally via Telnet/SSH when it's only the FTP Server that's enabled?

• gizmo911uk
  • Topic Author
More
30 Apr 2010 09:35 #4 by gizmo911uk
Silly me. There doesn’t seem to be a problem after all.

When I was testing remote management access for the router, my laptop auto connected to the router via VPN and I never noticed.
So that explains why I was able to connect to the router via SSH/Telnet etc when only the ‘FTP Server’ option was selected.

And now I know that when the ‘Allow management from the Internet’ option is checked, it reserves all ports mentioned in ‘Management Port Setup’ regardless of what servers are checked under ‘Allow management from the Internet’.

More
03 May 2010 10:48 #5 by nealuk
thanks for posting the update. it's good that we're all learning

Moderators: Sami