DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Load balancing and DNS Server - 2820VN

• phil h
  • Topic Author
More
04 May 2010 18:09 #1 by phil h
To help with the diagnostics of one of my internet connections, I've used load balancing to route all traffic from one PC through WAN2.

But I'm finding that this breaks my internet connection. I'm fairly sure that what is happening is that the vigor is using WAN1's DNS servers with a WAN2 session, as I can restore connectivity if I manually set the DNS so that the primary is WAN1's primary and the secondary is WAN2's primary.

Its pretty messy, and obviously results in a lot of failed DNS requests.

Can anyone help? Have I set things up wrong or is the Vigor getting it wrong?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 May 2010 16:06 #2 by markiebrown
Replied by markiebrown on topic Load balancing and DNS Server - 2820VN
You are not the first to point this problem with load balancing not getting DNS requests routed through the correct WAN port.
Maybe one day we may actually get a Draytek router that does what it says it does.. :roll:

More
11 May 2010 17:37 #3 by cocospm
Replied by cocospm on topic Load balancing and DNS Server - 2820VN

MarkieBrown wrote: You are not the first to point this problem with load balancing not getting DNS requests routed through the correct WAN port.
Maybe one day we may actually get a Draytek router that does what it says it does.. :roll:

Wouldn't that be nice. In the meantime, with dual WAN setups I always use the OpenDNS servers for both connections. They are:

• phil h
  • Topic Author
More
11 May 2010 17:51 #4 by phil h
Replied by phil h on topic OpenDNS or Google DNS
Thanks for the advice. I finally got it going with Google's version of open DNS. I might switch to these though - I reckon Google knows enough about every one of us already.

Now if only I could get the Draytek to hold onto an ADSL sync when the line quality has its off days.....

Moderators: Sami