05 May 2010 23:03 #1 by danielgwalter
2820 and Airport Extreme was created by danielgwalter
Good evening,

I have the following setup.

2820 router 192.168.1.2
airport extreme base station 192.168.1.1

2820 connected to the airport via the airports wan port
2820 DHCP turned off

PPPoe pass through working fine and no evidence of dual nat.

the obvious last step is to be able to admin the 2820 from the lan (via the airport network). This does not work and if i connect another network cable from the 2820 lan ports to the airport lan ports the whole network collapses!

what do i need to do to be able to admin the 2820 from the lan via wifi.

at present the only workable solution is to turn off wifi on the laptop, connect a lan cable direct from the laptop to the 2820 (with a manual ip) and then connect to the 2820 via the web admin page.

this is driving me bonkers!

regards and thanks in advance.

dan.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• danielgwalter
  • Topic Author
More
08 May 2010 11:58 #2 by danielgwalter
Replied by danielgwalter on topic 2820 and Airport Extreme
26 views and no comments! .... is this not achievable? just it strikes me as odd that the only way to manage the draytek is to direct cable to it ....

More
08 May 2010 14:06 #3 by njh
Replied by njh on topic 2820 and Airport Extreme
I don't know the airport at all, but the set up does not look right although there are not enough details. When you say the airport is on 192.168.1.1, does that mean your LAN is on 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0? Is so then your 2820 should not be given an address on the same subnet as your LAN. If you do that there is no way you can communicate with it. This is because the airport will keep all traffic on its LAN for its whole LAN subnet. Only if the address is outside of the LAN subnet will it pass the traffic onto its WAN port.

2900Gi/v2.5.6; 2900/v2.5.6

• danielgwalter
  • Topic Author
More
08 May 2010 16:26 #4 by danielgwalter
Replied by danielgwalter on topic 2820 and Airport Extreme
NJH,

thanks for the reply, that was exactly what I was looking for.

so, working on the principle that all my previous networks have had a single router modem wifi solution this has never been an issue before!

if I need the end result to be the client lan operating on 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0

and I need the airport to issue DHCP to the lan

what IP configs do I need on the draytek and how do I make the draytek accessible from the 192.168.1.0 lan clients (for config purposes)

thanks

Dan

More
08 May 2010 19:51 #5 by njh
Replied by njh on topic 2820 and Airport Extreme
What is the airport extreme? Is it just a plain router/WAP/printer server? If so you have a couple of options.

One option is to connect the LAN ports of the airport and 2820 together. Make sure the airport gives out the 2820's address as the gateway address. This is probably the easiest option. It may be even easier to turn on the DHCP in the 2820 and turn it off in the airport.

I don't use ADSL so I've never used bridge mode, but for it to work in your set up, try giving the 2820 a LAN address of 192.168.2.1 so it is on a different subnet. I don't know the other settings you need to make the 2820 into bridge mode.

2900Gi/v2.5.6; 2900/v2.5.6

More
09 May 2010 15:24 #6 by nick101
Replied by nick101 on topic 2820 and Airport Extreme
This might be helpful.

I've just had to switch from a combined router/modem (Draytek) to a separate modem and router. I have a Netgear ADSL modem and an Airport Extreme acting as router for the network.

I get a fixed IP address from my ISP.

The modem is set up as a DHCP server on 192.168.0.1. The Airport settings are:

Internet: Connect using Ethernet; WAN Port Auto, Share a public IP address
TCP/IP: configure using DHCP (the modem assigns the ISP fixed IP address to the Airport

DHCP Beginning address 10.0

And then I use NAT with some port mappings and reserved addresses for mail server etc

The Airport Extreme supports a mix of wired (via a cheap switch) and wireless clients

The modem is set to PPOA Bridged mode

Hope this helps

Moderators: Sami