Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820 and Airport Extreme

• danielgwalter
  • Topic Author
More
09 May 2010 15:25 #7 by danielgwalter
Replied by danielgwalter on topic 2820 and Airport Extreme
thanks for that,

from your note, you have the draytek acting as a dhcp server and the airport?

regs,

Dan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 May 2010 17:34 #8 by njh
Replied by njh on topic 2820 and Airport Extreme

nick101 wrote: This might be helpful.

I've just had to switch from a combined router/modem (Draytek) to a separate modem and router. I have a Netgear ADSL modem and an Airport Extreme acting as router for the network.

I get a fixed IP address from my ISP.

The modem is set up as a DHCP server on 192.168.0.1. The Airport settings are:

Internet: Connect using Ethernet; WAN Port Auto, Share a public IP address
TCP/IP: configure using DHCP (the modem assigns the ISP fixed IP address to the Airport

DHCP Beginning address 10.0

And then I use NAT with some port mappings and reserved addresses for mail server etc

The Airport Extreme supports a mix of wired (via a cheap switch) and wireless clients

The modem is set to PPOA Bridged mode

Hope this helps

If you have a router/router combination it is probably better to go with my first suggestion. It avoids double-NAT or working out PPPoE and allows you to use the facilities of both routers e.g. the VPN of the Draytek and the dual-band wireless of the airport. It also gives you more LAN sockets if you ever need them.

2900Gi/v2.5.6; 2900/v2.5.6

More
09 May 2010 17:54 #9 by nick101
Replied by nick101 on topic 2820 and Airport Extreme

danielgwalter wrote: thanks for that,

from your note, you have the draytek acting as a dhcp server and the airport?

regs,

Dan

The Netgear (modem only) insists on acting as DHCP server in bridging mode (and it only allows bridging mode). What happens is that, in bridging mode, the modem passes the external fixed IP back to the Airport. The Airport acts as DHCP client to receive the external IP, then acts as DHCP server for the rest of the network, using a different address group.

My older setup was more logical (I switched because I have a problem with the Draytek):

Draytek acting as modem and router and DHCP server; Airport as DHCP client, but not DHCP server. That, as someone else said, is simpler to configure and maintain, and when I have the Draytek sorted, I'll go back to it.

Hope that makes sense.

More
15 May 2010 09:27 #10 by nick101
Replied by nick101 on topic 2820 and Airport Extreme
OK, having got my 2820 back in action, here's my setup. It's somewhat different from what the OP started with, so may not be appropriate, but if it helps ...

The 2820 is connected PPOA to the ISP, with DHCP server enabled. The Airport extreme is set up as follows:

Wireless: Create a wireless network (WPA2 personal security
Internet: Connect using Ethernet; Connection sharing off (Bridge Mode)
TCP/IP: Using DHCP.

I run both wired and wireless networks: the router connects to a (Netgear) 8-port switch, one of whose ports connects the Airport Extreme and supports iPhones and laptops; desktops are wired into the switch.

I can see/administer the 2820 via the Airport from a wireless device and everything works

Moderators: Sami