DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2710 Sharing USB with Linux / CIFS - Chinese Chars!

• trumpton
  • Topic Author
More
08 Mar 2015 12:19 #1 by trumpton
I've plugged a hard drive into my Vigor 2710VN, and have a user via the web admin front-end.
I can connect to the hard drive via FTP from Windows and Linux.
I can connect to the hard drive via SMB from Windows.

When I try to connect from Linux (Ubuntu Studio 12LTS), I get permission denied.
I've managed to track this down to the password protocol, and it is necessary to add the following to the [global] seciton of smb.conf:

Code:
client NTLMv2 auth = no

Now comes the strange bit!

If I access the drive through the Linux file browser, I never see any files, but if I create one, I can see it through the web admin file browser, just not in Linux, and if I try to re-create it on Linux, it gives me an error, because it already exists, even though I see nothing.

If I mount the drive through /etc/fstab:

Code:
//192.168.1.1/steve /home/steve/vigor cifs noserverino,uid=1000,gid=1000,iocharset=utf8,credentials=/home/steve/credentials/vigor.smb 0 0

I see chinese characters when I navigate the file system:

Code:
total 12 drwxr-xr-x 2 steve steve 0 Nov 30 1979 . drwxr-xr-x 88 steve steve 12288 Mar 8 11:03 .. drwxr-xr-x 2 steve steve 0 Nov 30 1979 ??? root@Crunchie:/home/steve/vigor# cd backup root@Crunchie:/home/steve/vigor/backup# ls -la total 0 drwxr-xr-x 2 steve steve 0 Nov 30 1979 . drwxr-xr-x 2 steve steve 0 Nov 30 1979 .. drwxr-xr-x 2 steve steve 0 Nov 30 1979 ???? drwxr-xr-x 2 steve steve 0 Nov 30 1979 ?? root@Crunchie:/home/steve/vigor/backup#

Note that the directory shows in chinese, yet I can still cd into it using its real name.

I am assuming that the chinese is something to do with code pages / fonts, but I am not clear as to which part of the system is defining this.

Another oddity is that when I connect using smbclient, apart from the filenames showing in chinese again, the OS is shown in chinese too.

Please can somebody help point me in the right direction:

Is the server configured for a chinese charset, and windows ignores it?
Do I need to configure the charset on the client, and if so, how (client code page and client charset seem to be ignored)?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Aug 2015 19:07 #2 by iwrconsultancy
I can confirm this behaviour, especially the hexadecimal (Chinese?) character codes in filenames using a Debian 7.5 Samba client. Don't know of any solution though.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.