ADSL speeds and the 2860AC

• henryp
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
09 Jun 2015 12:13 #1 by henryp
ADSL speeds and the 2860AC was created by henryp
Help..!! We have replaced a 2850VN with a new 2860ac. The 2850VN gave us 1,568,000 download and 512,000 upload under G.DMT modulation using model code 2471201_A. Poor speeds but we are 6km from the exchange. So we simply changed the ADSL router and set it up as per the previous 2850VN. Nothing on the line has changed. BUT the 2860AC gives us only 288,000 download and 512,000 upload. This is using any modulation and any of the available modem codes from the 2860ac firmware. We have tried 3.7.8 firmware which the 2860ac came with. We have tried 3.7.8.1 non vector, 3782RC6 and 381RC1_beta but no change. ADSL status produces DSL actual rate 288,000, DSL attainable rate 1,408,000, US actual rate 512,000 US attainable rate 660,000. Interleaving set at 0. We have contacted Draytek email support and after telling us to try the various firmware choices, Edward has gone silent. Anyone else had this problem?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• babis3g
  • User
  • User
More
10 Jun 2015 10:23 #2 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: ADSL speeds and the 2860AC
The 2860 has different xdsl chipset/drivers than the 2850 .. i think this is your issue
compatibility with dslam

at top right there is a gray small tab looks like equaliser
try the command show adsl or adsl show
at the end will state xdsl chipset of the exchange
if is BDCM try the vector 2 and modem code _570e01
if this modem code is not at UK download pages ... can get it from here (vector link)
ftp://ftp.draytek.com/Vigor2860/Firmware/v3.7.8.2/

You can also try an other adsl filter and is good idea to get a short cable (phone socket to modem) less than a meter or max a meter and half (rj11 cable)

The other you can try is to telnet again and try the command adsl snr -30
That should work with only vector firmwares and should give some more speed for your line ... as lowers (if works) the snr margin it may cost stability to the line
If you face issues just set it back to default by the command adsl snr 30 this time without the mines

• legal
  • User
  • User
More
16 Jun 2015 10:53 #3 by legal
Replied by legal on topic Re: ADSL speeds and the 2860AC
Similar issues - replaced reliable 2820n with 2860ac - speeds reduced, frequent adsl fall outs, reduces to adsl 2 not 2+, shows wrong modulation on line, can't get Draytek repeater to work with it; have tried various firmwares; not impressed at all, clearly not adequately tested for UK before release. Draytek needs to get its act together quickly on this!!

More
24 Jun 2015 10:46 #4 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic Re: ADSL speeds and the 2860AC
Although I don't have a 2860AC (just a regular 2860n), I've got similar problems. So far I've seen the best results with the Standard firmware using the 552011 modem code (selected as the secondary modem code from WAN - General Setup - WAN1) - that gives consistently 0.5mb faster and no drop-outs with my line. Using the vector modem codes with my ADSL line gives terrible results such as 0.3mbps upload sync speed so that's no good :(

• mcquaim
  • User
  • User
More
29 Jan 2016 18:28 #5 by mcquaim
Replied by mcquaim on topic Re: ADSL speeds and the 2860AC
Hi folks,

Did you guys ever get this sorted?

I have just purchased the 2860ac for use in Ireland to replace my Netgear D6400. I was consistently getting around 86Mbps down and 19Mbps up on the D6400 but with the 2860ac I'm only getting around 66Mbps down and 14Mbps up max.

The DSL syncs well below the line limits so the speeds are always going to be slower!

I have opened a ticket on this but it has to be the slowest and most frustrating support I've ever gotten! "Chris" has me checking all kinds of things and trying all sorts of firmware and modem code combinations but nothing is fixing the issue!

I have asked about 20 questions off him so far and he hasn't acknowledged one of them never mind answer any of them, really frustrating! Going by this thread it looks like this is a known issue so he could have at least answered that question :x

Do you guys also find the wifi coverage to be poor on this model? I'm wondering if the high gain antennas make any difference?

I think I might send it back, really not impressed.. I have the 2850Vn and had various support queries in the past and I was always super impressed but either the standards are slipping or they have me chasing my tail as they have no solution :x

Looking forward to any feedback you guys have!

• gembrain
  • User
  • User
More
26 Feb 2016 16:19 #6 by gembrain
Replied by gembrain on topic Re: ADSL speeds and the 2860AC
Another one who would like to know if this was sorted :)

2860n+, upgraded firmware to the current recommended -result slower speeds and a variable speed at that.