• greenwood-it
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
22 Jun 2015 13:01 #1 by greenwood-it
Inbound IP over 3G/4G dongle was created by greenwood-it
Hi folks,

I'm running a new 2860 at a remote site with zero hardwire access. I've managed to configure an O2 dongle (ZTE MF823) and have outbound internet without any problem. Unfortunately I need inbound access on at least a couple of ports (RDP/VNC, CCTV etc).

I've found some O2 documentation online that suggests the dongle has its own firewall in addition to the one I've configured on the Vigor. Unfortunately the 'firewall' menu option it suggests I access on the dongle is missing and O2 offer no support for this device I purchased 2 days ago!!!

Can anyone suggest either;
a) How to open some ports or disable the entire firewall on the dongle
b) How to flash different firmware into the ZTE MF823 which will work with an O2 4G SIM
c) Alternative USB hardware that will allow inbound traffic and work with the existing O2 4G SIM and 2860
d) The name and phone number of someone at O2 I can swear at about their lack of support for their hardware!

Seriously, any advice would be much appreciated as I have no access to the remote site out of hours and TeamViewer has it's limitations and eats my data quota.

Regards,
John Greenwood

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• octoinkjet
  • User
  • User
More
24 Jun 2015 01:16 #2 by octoinkjet
Replied by octoinkjet on topic Re: Inbound IP over 3G/4G dongle
I've had similar issues with an L800 although we have an outbound VPN from the router that allows me access.

Ultimately it seems to be the approach these newer 4G modems/dongles use that causes problems so you might want to think about sourcing a second hand Huwaii E392 dongle instead. It uses the older style PPP dialing approach rather than DHCP and NAT.

I've got one coming in to help resolve the issues I've been seeing with this unit here so I'll feedback as/when I can.

More
24 Jun 2015 11:30 #3 by g6ifs
Replied by g6ifs on topic Re: Inbound IP over 3G/4G dongle
The SIM's you get normally from dealers do NOT allow inbound IP connections. Something to do with being behind a NAT.

You need to specifically order sim's with a fixed public IP if you need the facility. They normally cost a little bit more and a lot of dealers know nothing about them!

Regards,
Neil..