FTP server - deleting files

• nieldm
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
09 Jul 2015 13:52 #1 by nieldm
FTP server - deleting files was created by nieldm
Does anyone know an easy way to delete files from an attached USB disk, acting as the repository for the FTP server? I have all the user rights set correctly and I can even map the drive from Windows using the correct credentials :

ftp://192.168.0.1/Security

.... but it doesn't allow me to delete files. The only way I can achieve this is from the web app on a one by one basis, which is a royal pita given that it is jpg snapshot footage from a security camera at 5 fps...ie a lot of jpegs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is a 2860vn+

Thanks!
Marc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jul 2015 16:19 #2 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: FTP server - deleting files
Not much help to you I'm afraid but I'm trying to do the same thing - except I cannot even see the files in Windows Explorer, never mind delete them. I set up an FTP user in the USB settings with username and password but the Vigor will not let me open my home directory in Explorer with that username and password...

..on further testing it seems that my network cameras are not writing any files over FTP to the USB stick, although when I set them up with the FTP credentials they report "Success". Are your cameras uploading direct to the Vigor?

More
13 Jul 2015 08:19 #3 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: FTP server - deleting files
By the way, if I connect to the FTP server using e.g.Filezilla I can upload and delete files from any of the directories - does that help with your problem?

..and I seem to have resolved my FTP issue by using the router IP as the cameras' DNS server and FTP "active mode"

• nieldm
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
15 Jul 2015 09:04 #4 by nieldm
Replied by nieldm on topic Re: FTP server - deleting files
All is well here in terms of getting the camera footage onto the attached USB disk and even accessing the files remotely. From what you say you seem to be using an Axis camera? They are rock solid in that respect.

My only issue is deleting the files. With the user configured with all rights (read, write, delete etc) and attached as that user (ftp://user:password@routerip/) it tells me the files cannot be deleted.

Whilst I am sure I am donig something stupid, it's incredibly annoying. Surely someone, when they can stop laughing, can let us know the secret sauce?

Marc

• nieldm
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
15 Jul 2015 09:51 #5 by nieldm
Replied by nieldm on topic Re: FTP server - deleting files
Shouldn't be necessary but I have posted a support ticket and will post the reply here.

Penny will get you a pound the response will be "use the web interface", which is as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike when you have a camera uploading images at 20fps....

If that's the response I will be finding myself an alternative ftp server.