Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

What does 2860 PPPoE error really mean?

• arj
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
14 Jul 2015 17:19 #1 by arj
My 2860 has been working well with PlusNet VDSL for a couple of months. At 1am this morning it stopped working. The VDSL link to the street cabinet looks good 19000 Up and 74000 Down. However no IP address is being allocated. The WAN1 Status is reporting "PPPoE : No response from server side".

What does this message actually mean? Is it an issue on the PlusNet connection beyond the street cabinet?

It's weird as I have not changed anything and it has been working well for months.

PlusNet are doing their normal thing...trying to claim it's my customer wiring, and charging £50 for an engineer to visit. However I'm not convinced as I appear to have a solid VDSL connection to the street cabinet.

Any ideas?

Andrew

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jul 2015 22:10 #2 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic Re: What does 2860 PPPoE error really mean?
It's sending out a PPPoE server discovery message and getting no response, that's all it means :) It can't proceed unless it can contact a PPPoE server which would be on Plusnet's network.
The only thing that would cause that would be an ISP issue or the WAN1 VLAN tag not being set to 101.

More
23 Aug 2015 21:14 #3 by lorian
Replied by lorian on topic Re: What does 2860 PPPoE error really mean?
For future reference this is the error one often gets on plusnet when there is stale PPPoE session that is not clearing down properly. It sometimes will fix itself if you unplug for a while, but saying "please delete any stale PPPoE sessions for me" to customer services is the quickest fix.