DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2860N+ hardware acceleration and Netflix?

• cgre
  • Topic Author
More
31 Jul 2015 15:52 #1 by cgre
Hi, I've just updated to the new 3.7.8.3 version firmware and noticed the acceleration option (on auto by default) since upgrading I've had issues with Netflix, it takes an age to start the stream of a movie and once it does it stalls a lot (not a bandwidth issue, am in VDSL with 25Mb down and 6Mb up)

I've checked the settings since the update (prior to update it was fine) and I've found if I disable hardware acceleration the issue goes away and Netflix works as it did before this feature was added.

Has anyone else experienced this, is there any low level info on what this acceleration does and how it works, not sure what it can do with a UDP stream.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2015 19:07 #2 by destroyer
Replied by destroyer on topic Re: 2860N+ hardware acceleration and Netflix?
Very interesting. A few have reported on here that it causes problems, even on the PDF it says something along the lines of "if you experience problems with web browsing turn hardware acceleration off" -- err, what??

to be frank Draytek should be setting these dodgy options as OFF by default rather than on, and actually giving us some detail on what it does, when it should be used, and why it doesn't work basically.

• cgre
  • Topic Author
More
03 Aug 2015 09:15 #3 by cgre
Glad its not just me :wink:

I did some further testing with the feature and its not just streaming as others had mentioned. I found many http page loads just stalled if not on first page load on a subsequent link click within a site, at least every 3rd click I found it stalled on page load (turn H/A off and it goes away instantly on the same sites.

Would be good to find out what this is and how it works, if on FTTC then I don't see what value this can add (unless its just a simple cache/proxy).

I'm leaving it turned off as the router is brilliant without it enabled.