Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2830Vn - recent random reboots

• barneymcgrew
  • Topic Author
More
11 Aug 2015 13:01 #1 by barneymcgrew
2830Vn - recent random reboots was created by barneymcgrew
Hello
My 2830Vn-plus (version 1 hardware) has been stable for around 18 months since it replaced a failed 2820.
My PCs are hard wired although I do use the wifi capabilities (only the 2.4GHz range) and the VOIP channels.
I keep the firmware up to date (currently 3.8.6.2, May 11 2015 build), last updating it in June.

In the last few days, it has been randomly rebooting. (Maybe 3 times in 4 days)
This morning it obliged by rebooting for no obvious reason whilst I was there to see it happen.
It recycled just as though I had soft rebooted it manually and resync'd without a problem although the Downspeed came up a bit lower than it's usual rate.

Until today, it had happened in the overnight hours and was only noticed because of failed data back up jobs (I have backup jobs running continuously).

The only thing that I've knowingly changed in my setup in recent days is that I've upgraded two PCs to Windows 10.

Anyone got any ideas? Can't be to do with Windows 10 can it?

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Aug 2015 08:58 #2 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: 2830Vn - recent random reboots
Not really sure...but you can check the 'sys ver debug' command on telnet and ask support if
it gives any clues and also set up a syslog capture (to PC, not USB) and see what happens immediately
before a reboot and maybe that would help narrow it down.

Windows10 might be the catalyst or just the extra load... no idea :-)

Forum Administrator

• barneymcgrew
  • Topic Author
More
15 Aug 2015 16:04 #3 by barneymcgrew
Replied by barneymcgrew on topic Re: 2830Vn - recent random reboots
Thanks for the reply

Actually, I think I might have cracked it. As is often the case with these weird problems, I wondered if a factory reset would help.

Anyway, I backed up my configuration again, did a firmware "update" using the .rst file and then just restored my configuration from the backup.

Shouldn't have made any difference, right? Well, router's been up for 48 hours now without so much as a hiccup. :lol:

Fingers crossed!