DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

FYI v120 and Draytek forum censorship

• reetp
  • Topic Author
More
13 Aug 2015 12:27 #1 by reetp
Just a FYI because people should know.

A while back I asked posted a question here (http://forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=19490 - now deleted/censored) as to why their model v120 sold in the UK is NOT the same as the model v120 sold in Australia and New Zealand, and quite possibly Germany too.

The UK model is just a basic barebones ADSL modem.

The version sold elsewhere is actually a proper router - similar to say a 2820, but with just a single network port. All the router functionality is there.

But the better quality one sold in the rest of the world seems to be sold for the same price or cheaper than the basic, barebones, UK model.

So the UK model is seriously inferior hardware and a higher price. Draytek eventually admitted as such. And yet they still continue with their policy of profiteering in the UK. (I can't say 'rip off' as they got unhappy about it before). You figure it out.

As pointed out above, I had written about this topic before, but the post was deleted. One thing I really hate is censorship. If they don't like people criticising their unjustifiable sales policies then they should change the policy, not try and shut up the dissenters.

Fortunately I kept the link on my blog page and there it will remain for posterity and to demonstrate how companies are making fools of UK purchasers every day and then trying to cover their tracks. I'll add this post as well and lets see how long before it is 'censored' and removed. This time I will add the this text to the blog post as well.

http://computers-linux-other-nonsense.blogspot.com.es/2014/07/draytek-vigor-120-modemrouter-uk-rip-off.html

Enjoy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Aug 2015 08:51 #2 by iwrconsultancy
Replied by iwrconsultancy on topic Re: FYI v120 and Draytek forum censorship
I'd have to say that this is part of a wider problem throughout the consumer goods industry, that of using one model name or number to cover several intrinsically different products, by way of suffixes. The reason many firms do this, I guess, is to sell the new product under the strength of reputation gained by the previous ones. Unfortunately it's a situation which leads to lots of people wasting money on unsuitable purchases. In view of the fact that a four-digit model number could cover a range of ten thousand products -more than that of the biggest manufacturer on the planet, I would think- there seems to be no real justification for the suffixing malaise. For buyers, being able to quote a model number with confidence that this number accurately describes ONE product and ONE only, would be a huge step forward in catalogue clarity.

Though, there is obviously a difference between (for example) the use of a suffix to denote a 2830 with VOIP and one without, and applying the same number to a router and modem, in that VOIP is an additional feature whereas a modem is not a router and cannot replace a router.

More
14 Aug 2015 08:51 #3 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Vigor 120
reetp, You can go with your great big paranoid conspiracy theory, but many of your assumptions are wrong as well as your theories about the purpose...

The Vigor120 was introduced and designed specifically as a PPPoE to PPPoA bridge, because no such product existed and was needed specifically for the UK market where PPPoA was needed and many non-ADSL routers needed ADSL. The Vigor120 is pre-congfigured and zero-touch installation and hence very useful and popular - a lot of work also
went into optimising it and also to make it easy to use as it's often installed by novices.

Later, a model with routing enabled was made available in some places but it's a very basic router, with nothing like the features of the Vigor2760/2830 etc. and insufficient power to support such features and little need for it when lots of other companies make very basic routers already. For you to use words
like 'rip off' is offensive and rude and to play the victim instead of realising that was just silly. I would call it superior, not "inferior" because it provides unique and special functionality.
This information is mostly posted for others as you clearly weren't interested and instead have become obsessed with your conspiracy theory...

I don't work for DrayTek but I know this is correct

Forum Administrator

More
14 Aug 2015 08:55 #4 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: FYI v120 and Draytek forum censorship

IWRConsultancy wrote: that of using one model name or number to cover several intrinsically different products

It is unfortunate that when the later variant V120 with basic routing was released in some areas, it didn't have a completely different name. I've told them that myself but I think it was probably quicker/cheaper. I don't think that model sells very many so redesigning it completely probably wouldn't have been economical.

Forum Administrator

More
24 Aug 2015 18:49 #5 by the pit
Replied by the pit on topic Re: FYI v120 and Draytek forum censorship
The same applies to v130 as well.

More
08 Dec 2016 12:41 #6 by dingo
Replied by dingo on topic Re: Vigor 120

admin wrote: reetp, You can go with your great big paranoid conspiracy theory, but many of your assumptions are wrong as well as your theories about the purpose...
[...]
This information is mostly posted for others as you clearly weren't interested and instead have become obsessed with your conspiracy theory...

It's hardly a conspiracy (nice ad hominem by the way).

I signed up to this forum specifically to research this very issue (post sale)! I'm not sure why a sign-up is required to read a hardware support forum? Hiding this support information away from people searching the internet is seriously messed up. Most people sign-up to hardware sites after making a purchase - if at all. Anyone with pre sale questions or IT support people don't find these forum post as part if a normal search. Crazy!

If Draytek UK are being above board why don't they provide a link to the full users manual for the Vigor120? UK users get downloads for the firmware and QS guide only that's not theory it's FACT! Draytek could also add a warning note to the document stating that UK models do not support any of the advanced features. It would also be nice if the same note could be added to the v120/v130 demo page, as the current notice is vague. How about a demo page for the crippled versions of the v120/v130?

It's not clear that a V120-K / 4719853558311 Vigor 120 (UK/IE) is not the same thing as a V120 period, same for the v130, and in the UK there could be grounds for a mis-selling case.

I honestly don't get why users that have a need for the advanced features don't have the option to upgrade the firmware...unless the hw is different and not the same as a v120/v130? Why isn't there a full featured version available as a different model for users that need some or all of the features of a v120/v130?

On the plus side I agree the crippled UK/IE v120/v130's are unique as far as modems go, and it may be acceptable to people that have limited knowledge or don't need a feature rich device. I can accept that as a marketing strategy but in this modern age you would think there would be an option to switch firmware and satisfy the entire market.

If I were a sceptic I could only think of one primary motivator for this situation and that is to increase sales of supporting products like Draytek routers. Well all I can say is...you have alienated me as a direct result of the points mention by me and others in this thread. And here's a little takeaway for your marketing people...I'm the guy who supports my friends, family and businesses for IT related stuff and Draytek just dropped to the bottom of my hardware recommendation list. You can use that or ignore it but the hardest part of sales is closing the deal and then retaining that client for the long haul. You guys just failed on the latter and significantly damaged your chances of the former.