DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820n - Internal modem dies?

• linker3000
  • Topic Author
More
25 Aug 2015 20:55 #1 by linker3000
2820n - Internal modem dies? was created by linker3000
Line speed and general throughput on a 2820n had decreased from around 5.5 -> 3Mbit over the last few months, but I'd not paid too much attention to the issue due to the 'imminent' (That's a 'BT/Openreach 'imminent') arrival of FTTC (still waiting), but today I lost all signals to/from the exchange and could not establish a link.

My ISP did some line checks while I was at work and confirmed no specific faults. When I checked the unit later, I found that it works fine with a Vigor 120 on Wan port 2, so I suspect the internal modem has been degrading/dying for a while.

I'll crack open the 2820n sometime to take a look (I am a qualified electronics engineer with a soldering iron!), but just on the off-chance: Are there any known common faults with the 2820 or 28-series Drayteks in general that affect the internal modem (known bad capacitor, isolation transformer etc.?), or will it be suck it and see time? I don't think we've had any major electrical storms recently.

Thanks

L3K

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Aug 2015 13:47 #2 by pol098
Replied by pol098 on topic Re: 2820n - Internal modem dies?
Either something systematic is happening is happening or there's been a big coincidence. My 2820Vn stopped connecting to the Internet via ADSL, and I was going to start a thread about it. It's worked perfectly for years, and I have changed nothing in configuration or ISP. I'm using TalkTalk (who took over my nice Nildram setup). I returned from 10 days away on 18 Aug 15 to find EVERYTHING working properly (WiFi, DHCP, all Web config screens looked normal, switching hub, ADSL was in SHOWTIME, speeds etc. as expected, 6dB SN margin, 33dB atten, all indicator lights OK) except there was no connection to the Internet (ping 8.8.8.8 failed, ping local 192.168.x.y OK). Phoned TalkTalk, went through everything they would (until "it's not a TT router, can't help further"), asked for possibly stale connection to be reset, all showed to them as normal, no joy. Another ADSL (not+) modem worked fine.

Does anybody have any ideas why my 2820Vn, and another, stopped working in this way? Is there any other reasonable cause than hardware failure? Anything to do (e.g., reseat internal connectors, use a hot air gun to reflow big SMT chips, sacrifice a goat)?

Thanks

• linker3000
  • Topic Author
More
26 Aug 2015 14:15 #3 by linker3000
Replied by linker3000 on topic Re: 2820n - Internal modem dies?
I'd imagine/hope it's a coincidence.

Is there any chance someone has a circuit schematic and/or service manual for the 2820n?

More
29 Aug 2015 13:00 #4 by pol098
Replied by pol098 on topic Re: 2820n - Internal modem dies?

pol098 wrote: I said "My 2820Vn stopped connecting to the Internet via ADSL ..."

I'm quite certain that it had stopped connecting; even a firmware reset reinstall (reinstating the existing .cfg file) failed, and I used an old router for a few days. Then reconnected the 2820Vn with the intention of doing another reset but this time without loading the settings; however it worked immediately with the existing configuration, no reset. I'm certain that it had gone wrong (it stopped working while unattended, and nothing I did later made any difference). Just one of those things that electronic equipment does? Some unannounced change made, and later reverted, by TalkTalk? Nothing different I can see (in particular displayed SNR margin, loop attenuation unchanged).

More
29 Aug 2015 17:02 #5 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: 2820n - Internal modem dies?
It could be a surge/lightening on the line.

Forum Administrator