• geocyberwolf
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
01 Sep 2015 21:51 #1 by geocyberwolf
Vigor 2850 Speed Drop was created by geocyberwolf
Hi All,

I have a BT Infinity VDSL connection with up to 80Mbps downstream speeds. I recently swapped the homehub 5 for the draytek 2850. I was getting downstream throughput of around 75Mbps with the homehub, and am now getting more like around 60Mbps maximum with the Draytek. I am running firmware 3.6.8.2 which appears to be the latest release.

Please can you help me? Maybe I screwed up something in the config which is causing the slowdown.

Below are some screenshots.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mcdragon
  • User
  • User
More
05 Sep 2015 19:10 #2 by mcdragon
Replied by mcdragon on topic Re: Vigor 2850 Speed Drop
I have had similar problems with Plusnet. On the original Plusnet router I was getting 20-21 MBps, on Vigor 2860ac I am only getting 1-2 MBps. Talking about download speeds, of course.

I'm a little dismayed that you haven't received any replies already.

Martin

• geocyberwolf
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
05 Sep 2015 19:48 #3 by geocyberwolf
Replied by geocyberwolf on topic Re: Vigor 2850 Speed Drop

mcdragon wrote: I have had similar problems with Plusnet. On the original Plusnet router I was getting 20-21 MBps, on Vigor 2860ac I am only getting 1-2 MBps. Talking about download speeds, of course.

I'm a little dismayed that you haven't received any replies already.

Martin

YEah I am rather concerned, how a cheap thing given to me by my ISP seems to be able to provide better speed throughput than a proper enterprise grade router. I've also just sent a support ticket through.

• mcdragon
  • User
  • User
More
05 Sep 2015 19:51 #4 by mcdragon
After reading a post on the net I found something that helped me and might help you as well.
I was fiddling with the modulation on the WAN setup page (for the ADSL connection). Now I have ADSL so the settings might be different for VDSL. For anyone wlese out there I changed from Multimode that didn't work well to G.DMT that gave me 8 MBps to ADSL2+ (G.992.5) that gave me 25 MBps.

Regards
Martin

• mcdragon
  • User
  • User
More
05 Sep 2015 19:54 #5 by mcdragon

GeoCyberwolf wrote: YEah I am rather concerned, how a cheap thing given to me by my ISP seems to be able to provide better speed throughput than a proper enterprise grade router. I've also just sent a support ticket through.

I would tend to agree but I think a lot of the settings are built-in with this cheap and simple-to-use routers. I am sure that the Vigor is a superior product but its getting the corect settings.
The problem is that perhaps ISPs are not giving us a lot of advice on how to set them up. I am sure their proper techies would know how to do it.
The first line of Plusnet support didn't have a clue, they only knew how to setup their own router which is shite.

• mcdragon
  • User
  • User
More
06 Sep 2015 09:16 #6 by mcdragon
I have had some more information on this problem.
After correcting the modulation to ADSL2+ (G.992.5) I was getting a good download speed as shown in the Diagnostics - DSL Status.

However I was still getting 2.5 MBps whne checking Speedtest.

I found out after speaking to Plusnet that my line was throttled, most likely due to me entering the wrong passwords in the Vigor. When it wasn't working properly I thought it wasn't connecting because of a wrong password so I tried two that I had.