Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Windows 10 spying. How to block????

• cornz
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
02 Sep 2015 14:47 #1 by cornz
Given the amount of data windows 10 is actively collecting and reporting back to Redmond, there are now numerous sites associated with this harvesting.
(look here: https://github.com/WindowsLies/BlockWindows)

How would I go about setting up my 2820 to block these sites?

Ordinarily I would use the hosts file but it seems these addresses are "hard coded" into some of the windows executables / dll files and therefore do not rely on the hosts file so they have to be blocked at the router.

Thanks for any advice..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Sep 2015 09:23 #2 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic Re: Windows 10 spying. How to block????
The list of sites it reports to indicates it does more than just telemetry though ;)

The 2820 can't do anything about this other than manually looking up the IPs for each hostname and blocking those in the firewall, the 2860 though, you could set up keyword objects for those sites and block them all with the DNS filter

• adrianh54
  • User
  • User
More
12 Sep 2015 07:47 #3 by adrianh54
Replied by adrianh54 on topic Re: Windows 10 spying. How to block????

AndrewLMacaulay wrote: Just to be clear, it is NOT spying (at least any more than anything else is) - it is collecting telemetry data to improve Windows 10 and to help fix bugs quicker, much of which you can switch off anyway through the privacy settings - although doing so does also switch off some useful features.

I presume that, if you are this worried, you will want to do the same for your iPhone/Android Phone when they are connected via 4G (oh, you can't!!!!) where most apps pass data back to Apple/Google and the developers, and in this case it is often not anonymised (unlike the Windows 10 telemetry).

Personally, I would rather have this type of telemetry being used to help improve Windows 10 quicker and get bugs fixed faster (something they have been doing since Windows XP in one form or another through the error reporting capabilities, so I am actually not sure what all the fuss is about). And anyway, Windows 7 and 8/8.1 have this now as well.

Are you truly that naive ?

It IS spying in a huge way. How does recording what you write, reading your emails and messages have anything to do with "improvements" to Win10.

It doesn't. Microsoft already had the User Experience program which provided them all they needed to "improve" the software , they already had all the data they needed from millions of systems.

You need to closely read the EULA and privacy documents.

The data collected ( and that collection and transmission continues even after you have said NO and turned off the actions within privacy settings) is taken and SOLD to a list of 200+ companies so that they can target you with adverts placed within the Operating system itself.

Windows 10 is an advertising platform just like facebook, that is the reason the "telemetry" is used , Microsoft sell your data and earn mega$$$$$$

Worse, Microsoft have now extended this data collection to win7 and Win8 , this was done by stealth, adding the data collection system via Windows Updates and without the users knowledge or permission.

More
17 Sep 2015 08:17 #4 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Windows 10 spying. How to block????

AndrewLMacaulay wrote: it is NOT spying...it is collecting telemetry data to improve Windows 10 and to help fix bugs

Seriously... you said that with a straight face....I'm all for pragmatism, but that's surely from Microsoft's PR dept :-)

No doubt you'd argue that my banking app accessing my phone book and Bluetooth connection improves
their banking service etc :-)

Forum Administrator

More
17 Sep 2015 20:13 #5 by the pit
Replied by the pit on topic Re: Windows 10 spying. How to block????
I used spybots cut the line which disables the stuff.

More
20 Sep 2015 13:43 #6 by destroyer
Replied by destroyer on topic Re: Windows 10 spying. How to block????
http://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

This is all configurable within Windows. Home customers seem to forget very easily that Microsoft sell Windows to many enterprises and governments across the world and wouldn't be stupid enough to risk losing their business by not allowing these features to be turned off.