DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Bandwidth & Session Limits

• akwe-xavante
  • Topic Author
More
04 Sep 2015 09:28 #1 by akwe-xavante
Bandwidth & Session Limits was created by akwe-xavante
Hoping someone can help with a little advice.

First a little background info:

Router: Draytek Vigour 2820
WAN Connection: ADSL2+ exchange less than 500yds so getting maximum available

This router is being used in a holiday cottage that takes up to 4 people.

The problem being that I believe that access to the net may be being abused. This week being the worst ever insofar as 2 people have 8 devices connected and in the last 24hrs alone they have downloaded 108GB of data!
3 devices have been downloading continuously for the last 6 days downloading over 80GB a day.

ON Holiday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????????????? I believe that guests are doing a lot more than checking emails, updating facebook etc etc

This concerns me, are these people downloading pirated movies, music and the like using P2P applications?

I know that at the mo many Windows M$ devices are downloading the Win10 upgrade but something else is going on here.

So how can I find out what's going on and can I use the routers bandwidth & Session limit settings to control / reduce abuse?

If so what would be a realistic set of data for:

Default Max Session Limit for my own laptop when I visit & two TV's using BBC iPlayer / ITV Player (Fixed IP Addresses)
Specific Max Session Limit for all other devices. (Dynamic IP Addresses)

Default Bandwidth RX & TX Limits for my own laptop when I visit & two TV's using BBC iPlayer / ITV Player (Fixed IP Addresses)
Specific Max Bandwidth RX & TX Limits for all other devices. (Dynamic IP Addresses)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• akwe-xavante
  • Topic Author
More
07 Sep 2015 22:38 #2 by akwe-xavante
Replied by akwe-xavante on topic Re: Bandwidth & Session Limits
Been monitoring my own access over the last few days and have decided on

Default Session Limit: 10,000 which will be shared between my laptop and two TV's.
All other users to have a limit of 175 each

Default Bandwidth Limits of TX (Up) 10Mbps, RX (Down) 20Mbps which will be shared between my laptop and two TV's
All other users to have a limit of TX (Up) 100kbps, RX (down) 2850kbps each

The BBC iPlayer downloads at 2800kbps

Tried these restrictions on myself (as a restricted user) and I can watch a BBC iPlayer program in HD and remain logged into my yahoo mail account and surf the bbc news website without feeling to restricted, just.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.