Kids internet access control

• alijcam
  • Topic Author
More
04 Sep 2015 10:20 #1 by alijcam
Kids internet access control was created by alijcam
I have a 2860 on 3.7.8.3 firmware
I run a home/home office network based on Microsoft Small business Server 2011
I want to be able to control the times of day my children's devices are allowed internet.
For example: Both Xboxes go off at 22:00, A's phone goes off at 22:30, B's phone goes off at 23:00, C's phone goes off at 23:30, All 3 laptops go off at 22:30, and so on...

I normall use the DHCP server on the SBS because it's linked to the SBS's easier to administer than the one on the router.
I have set MAC to IP bindings on the DHCP server on the SBS for all the target devices which are now served fixed internal IPs on the local LAN - that works fine.

However, I cannot get the firewall filters to work for incoming traffic, and outgoing filters don't necessarily stop XBOX activity reliably.
For example: WAN -> LAN - Source: Any - Dest: 192.168.12.45 (an XBOX) - Service Type: Any - Filter: Block Immediately has no effect...
Testing an 'Everything' filter: WAN -> LAN - Source: Any - Dest: Any - Service type: Any - Filter: Block Immediately does nothing, when it should, I think, block ALL incoming data.
I have also tried using the MAC Bind and DHCP function on the router instead of the SBS, but that doesn't change the behaviour.

Is there some special trick to get *incoming* filters to work? I have been through Mikey's descriptions for various types of filter and I'm sure I'm doing it correctly...

Can anyone offer advice on this?
Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Sep 2015 11:15 #2 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Kids internet access control
I think you do need to use outgoing blocks... if that doesn't work,
figure out why. n.b. Mikey's guides are old... use the new knowledgebase
if you have a newer model.. or ask support for help.

Forum Administrator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.