2925n Plus, Vlans, and Wan routing

• welshjohn
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
08 Sep 2015 16:43 #1 by welshjohn
2925n Plus, Vlans, and Wan routing was created by welshjohn
Hi. I am new to the forum and I have done a quick search but I can't find anything on this. If there is please send me to the right place.

I have a 2925n Plus with both Wans active - one connected to a fast Satellite broadband and the other to a slow ADSL via a Vigor 120 modem. Both are working and we use the satellite for most traffic but it has a very high latency - which is not good for voip or Skype. We have a small voip system which was connected to the satellite but is now going via the slower but low-latency connection using Load Balancing/Route Policy to send all traffic from/to the voip IP address via Wan2. And that works very well giving us a much better voip experience.

So now what I want to do is a similar thing for Skype on wirelessly connected laptops. My thought - and what I have tried to do - is to set up an additional wireless SSID then use the vlan config so that anything connecting to that new ssid would have a different IP subnet. That works and when I connect to that ssid I get an IP address of 192.168.4.N rather than 192.168.1.N for the normal wireless connection. Then again I used Load Balancing/Route Policy to send all traffic from/to any device on this new subnet so that it only goes via Wan2. But that doesn't work - not sure why but I just get timeouts when trying to connect on the new ssid. And strangely, Skype updates the "who's on line" list but won't actually connect.

So my questions are - a) Is what I am trying to do feasible and am I doing it right? And b) Is there a better way?

Thanks,

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.