Suresignal and infinity - what works?

• wilsodg
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
16 Sep 2015 06:29 #1 by wilsodg
Suresignal and infinity - what works? was created by wilsodg
I currently have 3 x suresignals over the property connected via a 2830 (ADSL port pppoa) and all is fine, it doesn't work on the second WAN due to pppoe - not a problem, we understand and manage that.
We are upgrading to BT Infinity on both WANs.

My question is if ANYONE is successfully using a Draytek Load balancing device with Suresignal AND BT Iinfinity (VDSL)? If you are, please can you post back with modem and router, plus anything special you had to do (open ports or not).

As I see it, I have 3 options :
  • use the supplied BT Openreach modems into a 2925 (probably preferred)
    use vigor 130 modems into a 2925
    use a 2860 vdsl on one line (hoping the suresignal works on that), and then either the BTOR modem or a 130 on the second line with ppoe.

a 4th option (not keen and would have to quickly cancel order) is to stick with ADSL on one of the lines.
Many thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Sep 2015 17:33 #2 by robtheplod
Replied by robtheplod on topic Re: Suresignal and infinity - what works?
I have a 2860n which works with SureSignal v3 on ADSL but not on VDSL (all that changes is the connection method)... no idea why!

• wilsodg
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
21 Sep 2015 18:12 #3 by wilsodg
Replied by wilsodg on topic Re: Suresignal and infinity - what works?
I'm told that ADSL does PPPoA connections (which work), but VDSL flips that to PPPoE, and Suresignal is renowned for not working with PPPoE because for some reason the MTU under PPPoE (for Draytek at least) was previously too loo and packets got truncated. BUT - some people have got it to work on VDSL (not sure if on a 2860 though) - mostly on the std BTOR modems and a mix of routers (not Draytek).

The reason for my post was to try to identify what does and does not work, so your post is very helpful.
I also note that Draytek did change the firmware (in 2925 at least) to allow a higher MTU setting (1500?) with PPPoE, so wonder if that will fix it. Did you check that your MTU is set to the max (1492 minimum)?

I get mine this weekend, and bought v130's and a 2925, so will either post back that all is great, or be crying / returning all my Draytek gear. The first time round I wasted 6 months trying to get the Suresignals to work.

• wilsodg
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
21 Sep 2015 23:50 #4 by wilsodg
Replied by wilsodg on topic Re: Suresignal and infinity - what works?
Well I configured the 2925 this evening, and plugged into the v130 modems and into the ADSL socket and the Suresignals seem to work fine. This is over PPPoE, so it seems to work ok now. Latest firmware allows MTU of 1500. Will check round the others tomorrow. 2925 seems a cracking router.