Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Turning the firewall on makes the internet unusable

• s2kip
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
28 Sep 2015 10:35 #1 by s2kip
Hi all, recently set up a 2860N Plus at home using Sky FTTC. I followed the MER guide and got it all connected using an MTU value of 1492.

My issue is that when the firewall is set to enabled, browsing becomes nigh on unusable. It's the settings on this page:

If I turn them on that's when I get the issue. I've since disabled hardware acceleration and enabled DOS protection, but they've made no difference. It's specifically any setting on this page. Is it normal behavior?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Sep 2015 15:20 #2 by piste basher
Do you mean the "Enable Strict Security" setting? If so, then my understanding of the manual is that if your other firewall settings do not either positively pass or positively block certain packets then the router will block them by default if you have this enabled. Perhaps that is what is happening? Unless you've set the firewall to pass everything you want then it will block everything?

• s2kip
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
28 Sep 2015 18:53 #3 by s2kip

Piste Basher wrote: Do you mean the "Enable Strict Security" setting? If so, then my understanding of the manual is that if your other firewall settings do not either positively pass or positively block certain packets then the router will block them by default if you have this enabled. Perhaps that is what is happening? Unless you've set the firewall to pass everything you want then it will block everything?

Actually, I've just had a test and it seems it's the call filter only. If data filter is on and call is off, then the net is fine. Strict being on or off makes no difference.