DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 130 and FTTC Line Drops

• jaybea
  • Topic Author
More
26 Oct 2015 14:01 #1 by jaybea
Vigor 130 and FTTC Line Drops was created by jaybea
I have been having problems with Line drops on my FTTC lines. The line with the problems had a Vigor 130 on it, and as part of the fault testing, I swapped the model with a BT HCI modem from the other line. Both lines then settled down for a few weeks.

I have now started getting line drops on the line that the Vigor 130 is on now. I have tried a reboot and a firmware update to the latest version. I have now swapped the modem out completely by using an old BT FTTC modem, and the line drops have gone away again (at least for the moment), at the expense of much worse latency (up from 17ms to 40ms).

Is anyone else having problems with line drops with the Vigor 130? The problem appears to come and go - I can go a day or two without any drops, and then get 10-20 over the course of a few hours, so I am not sure whether it is something on the line that the Vigor is particularly sensitive to, whist the BT modems are not affected. The line that the Vigor is on now is the secondary line, so it gets little traffic unless the other line goes down, so it does not appear to be related to traffic volumes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• adrianh54
  • User
  • User
More
31 Oct 2015 09:05 #2 by adrianh54
Replied by adrianh54 on topic Re: Vigor 130 and FTTC Line Drops
Yes, I had the same issue, the 130 was unusable , the BT ECI modem perfect, never dropped the line once.

I gave up and threw it on a shelf. A month or so later I gave it one more try.

I powered it up , did a factory reset, then connected it to a laptop via ethernet and flashed a new copy of the latest firmware.

Factory reset again and powered off. Took it into the lounge, connected it to the BT socket and router.

For whatever reason it has worked flawlessly ever since.

I think the problem is with the memory, several full resets and reboots clears it.

• jaybea
  • Topic Author
More
04 Nov 2015 10:14 #3 by jaybea
Replied by jaybea on topic Re: Vigor 130 and FTTC Line Drops

I think the problem is with the memory, several full resets and reboots clears it.

Mine is also sitting on the shelf at the moment, but I will put it back on the line soon because the latency using the HCI modem is awful.

I will raise it with Tech Support, although I have a feeling that it is a combination of modem and line conditions causing the problem.

• wallacio
  • User
  • User
More
17 Nov 2015 09:20 #4 by wallacio
Replied by wallacio on topic Re: Vigor 130 and FTTC Line Drops
I'd be interested to see where you get raising this with tech support. I've got exactly the same problem with a 2850.

In my last house, it was rock solid - 80/20 all day long for 18 months.
Move to new house, and it's ropey as hell. It started out not too bad (resyncing once every 2-3 days) but then gradually over time it started resynching more frequently to the point where now, it's doing well to maintain sync for 10 minutes when things are at their worst. At other times, it will go for 2-3 hours.

Openreach can find no fault on the line, but they only ever visit when it's stable.

Swapping the Draytek for the HG612 restores stability; although I've got no idea what speed it's syncing, at it is at least stable with apparently no resyncs. That however has blown up so I'm back on the flakey Draytek awaiting a replacement modem.

It does seem as if the Draytek is sensitive to some kind of line conditions given that the HG612 can maintain a connection but how you go about proving that is not something I think I can be bothered going through. eBay?

• jaybea
  • Topic Author
More
24 Nov 2015 08:56 #5 by jaybea
Replied by jaybea on topic Re: Vigor 130 and FTTC Line Drops
I got some updated firmware from Draytek support using an alternate modem code, and this appears to be stable, so far anyway. It might be worth you asking Tech Support, or seeing whether there are alternate modem codes available for your router and trying some of these.

• wallacio
  • User
  • User
More
24 Nov 2015 12:56 #6 by wallacio
Replied by wallacio on topic Re: Vigor 130 and FTTC Line Drops
Well - I spoke to Draytek support.

It looks like this is probably related to G.INP being active on my line, which the 2850n can't handle properly.

Apparently there are no plans to release firmware for the 2850 with this feature, so it looks like I'm screwed :(