2925 High Availability - setting it up

• sjltech.uk
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
02 Nov 2015 00:21 #1 by sjltech.uk
2925 High Availability - setting it up was created by sjltech.uk
Hello forum, this is my first post here, so please excuse any mistakes.
I have a pair of 2925 routers (RTR1 & RTR2 for purpose of discussion)
RTR1 is the "main" router, I copy config from RTR1 to RTR2 from time to time so I can take one of the routers out if needed (firmware update etc.)
WAN1 is connected to Virgin via Superhub 2AC in modem mode
WAN2 is connected to BT Infinity via their VDSL modem
Both routers are connected to a G1241 switch, and the LAN goes on from there...
Looking at the new v3.8.2 firmware, I see this supports High Availability and it also seems I have the hardware to take advantage of this.
What I do not understand is how the WAN hardware is set up.
As I only have a single connection from, say, the Virgin Superhub to RTR1, am I right in thinking that I need the connection from the Virgin Superhub into a switch then BOTH routers' WAN1 interfaces would connect to the switch ?
I hope what I'm asking makes sense, and any guidance would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Simon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Nov 2015 10:22 #2 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic Re: 2925 High Availability - setting it up
From setting this up on a pair of 2960s, there are two modes you can use for HA:

Active Standby - this is where you have unique WAN interfaces on each router and they present a virtual IP to the LAN which is used as the gateway, afaik config sync isn't used with this

Hot Standby - both routers use the same WAN interfaces, the active router uses the WAN(s), if it goes down, the backup(s) take over the WAN interface and the virtual IP as the LAN gateway. This can use config sync and you would need a switch to share out things like single port modems (which includes the superhub in modem mode afaik). At least the openreach modem, if it's the Huawei one, you could unlock it and set it up so that the LAN2 port operates the same as LAN1 on it.

• sjltech.uk
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
03 Nov 2015 11:30 #3 by sjltech.uk
Replied by sjltech.uk on topic Re: 2925 High Availability - setting it up
Hi voodle, thanks very much for the reply, it was the sharing out of the single ports that I was struggling to get my head around, so many thanks again.
Once I've got this set-up, I'll post some details up here.
Cheers
Simon

• sjltech.uk
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
11 Oct 2016 22:11 #4 by sjltech.uk
Replied by sjltech.uk on topic Re: 2925 High Availability - setting it up
Well, success at last :D
I now have the Superhub 2AC (in modem mode) going into a (cheap, unmanaged) switch and both routers' WAN2 interfaces plugged into the switch.
When I look at the primary router through the web GUI, I see the WAN2 interface as "UP" and the secondary router show it as 'DOWN" (what I'd expect)
I decided the only way to test was to run a ping from a PC on the LAN out to the internet, then pull the power on the primary router (switch off at the wall)
As soon as I did that, the ping started to timeout (no surprises) but much to my surprise, 8 pings later, it picked up again :o
Did some tests through to the internet, and everything worked beautifully - it really had just "taken over"
So then, time to bring the primary back "on-line", so started the same ping test again and switched the primary back on.
This time, not a SINGLE ping packet lost, and another test streaming a video from Google hangouts didn't even glitch, very VERY impressed.
I then decided to try using the BT connection as well, so used another switch for the ethernet from the BT modem, and plugged into both WAN1 interfaces on the routers.
Same tests, again, same results, but I'm left with one curious observation I can't explain.
When I look at the secondary router, when it is in standby mode, I see WAN1 (BT) showing a connection and nothing on WAN2 (Virgin) - I don't quite understand WHY I'm seeing WAN1 as 'UP"
If I look at the syslog server, I can see the secondary router, whilst in standby mode, is trying to "dial out" - although it doesn't appear to succeed, I'm wondering what I am missing on the BT connection and why it's not behaving the same way as the Virgin connection.
The Virgin connection is Ethernet/DHCP whereas the BT connection is Ethernet/PPPoE, so I am (perhaps wrongly) making the assumption that it's something to do with the PPPoE side of this and the "dumb" switch ?
I haven't investigated the possibility of using a second port on the Openreach modem - I need to check if I have the port, then it would mean running another 25M (ish) of Cat 6 up the stairs from the modem to the comms rack.
Any thoughts, however technical, would be gratefully received :)
Thanks
Simon