2830 restart restores network connectivity

• mark1111
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
13 Nov 2015 15:37 #1 by mark1111
Hi

Today when I arrived at work staff were unable to browse the network (Win7 clients, 2008 + 2012r2 domain controllers, 2008 storage server (member server) and 2012 member server).

Restarting our gateway router, a Vigor 2830, instantly restored network access. The 2830 is used as a gateway router, receives the end of an L2TP LAN to LAN connection and performs port forwarding for SMTP/IMAP/PPTP.

What is strange is that the same thing happened the same day last week. Again, restarting the 2830 restored access to the network. Also, when I check the event logs of the clients the network outage occurred at the same time - 6.30am.

The only thing that happens around that time is that the PC's are left on overnight so that 1. a virus scan can start at 9pm which takes 30mins - 1.5hr, and 2. the computers can check in to WSUS for any Windows updates at 6am (the time can be variable).

About a year ago our network was plagued by random outages that I eventually tracked down to a TP-Link router (working as a WAP). As soon as I rebooted it the outages stopped, so I removed it.

My question is - does anyone know what can cause this to happen? Is it simply the fact the router may be getting a little long in the tooth (we've had it since Aug 2012)? Or, could some traffic issue be the cause?

Any thoughts will be welcome.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Nov 2015 11:37 #2 by g6ifs
Have you checked with your ISP?
Had similar a few months ago with our Fibre line on EasyNet, would sometimes fail about 5:30 in the morning and required our router to be rebooted. Turned out to be an upgrade on a core router at EasyNet was the problem. No problems since they sorted their end out.

Just a thought.

Neil..

• mark1111
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
27 Nov 2015 15:31 #3 by mark1111
Replied by mark1111 on topic Re: 2830 restart restores network connectivity
Thanks for responding. I will check this out if it happens again. In the meantime I will set a schedule to reboot the router each day at 4am.

• mark1111
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
04 Dec 2015 12:44 #4 by mark1111
Replied by mark1111 on topic Re: 2830 restart restores network connectivity
I scheduled the reboot for 1am. I have set up schedule No 1: Action = Force on.

I have set 1 in the 'Auto reboot time schedule' and the method is reboot using current configuration.

I use the syslog utility to record all activity. I have looked at the log file covering 1am last night and was wondering if there was a way to identify the reboot had taken place. I cannot see anything to indicate the system has restarted. When I look at the WAN1 status under Online status > Physical connection, the uptime is reported as 507 hours.

Can anyone help me understand why this is not working, please?

Thanks.